Author Topic: Bodnant Gardens Conwy. North Wales  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Palustris

Bodnant Gardens Conwy. North Wales
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »
We think this is possibly the best place to visit that we know of. Beautiful scenery and fantastic trees and shrubs all year round
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v172/Berghill/BodnantOct08/

The Waterfall over the Dam

Across the Lily pond to the House (not open to the public).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:11:02 PM by Palustris »

NightHawk

Re: Bodnant Gardens Conwy. North Wales
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
Those gardens look absolutely fantasic Eric, thanks for sharing them with us.  8)

Just the sort of place I like - running streams, waterfalls, secluded and quiet woodland.  Beautiful.

What is the acreage of the gardens.  They look deceptively large to fit all that scenery into them.  Just curious.

You've taken a great set of photos as well.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:12:07 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »
Not sure how many acres the gardens cover, but they are huge. We are fairly fast walkers and it takes over 2 hours for us to go round it all. You could spend all day in there if your stamina was up to it. Like a lot of places there is a lot of rebuilding work going on at present.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Looks like you had a nice sunny day for the visit Eric. I'm sure that garden is stunning. Thanks for sharing on the forum.
You seem to be out and about a lot recently  :)
Good to see you taking time to relax and see around you after a busy summer in your own garden

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
We actually have not been out as much this year. What with the lousy weather and going to visit my mother (round trip of 100 miles every week) we have missed out on a few places we like to visit. We try to go to Bodnant 4 times in the open season. Early on the place is stuffed full of Rhododendrons and Camellias, now that is eye candy with a vengeance.
Missed this year. Attingham Park, Tatton Park, Dunham Massey, Baddesley Clinton, Croft Castle and one or two other places whose names escape me! Advantages of being retired. We do try to arrive as they open and get round before the crowds and we rarely go into the houses.
We did manage Penrhyn Castle and Plas Newydd (Anglesey) though.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
I recognise a few of those names!

We visited a few gardens around Manchester in July 08 (over for my daughters graduation ceremony)
I studied the gardens in the region and chose Tatton park for the Sunday Visit. I was a little disappointed.

On the Tuesday, I tossed up between Arley Hall and Dunham Massey. We went to Arley. I dont know what Dunham Massey is like but it would be hard to beat Arley Hall - fantastic borders, very well maintained. Definitely recommended!! Have you been there on your travels?

In each case, my wife and the girls toured the House, then caught up with me in the gardens (how did we ever manage before mobile phones!)
I toured the gardens and skipped the house! Took photos of the outside of the house with the gardens in the foreground.
I have to get those WPG's done!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Always forget about Arley Hall. Must go sometime. Tatton we have free entry to as an ex Cheshire C.C employee. I suppose because we have lots of plants in the garden we like trees and shrubs when we visit places. Dunhma Massey is a walk rather than a garden of herbaceous stuff.
As to the house, well when you have seen one Victorian/Edwardian interior you have seen them all.
Forgot about Liilttle Morton Hall, good for ten minutes stroll!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:19 AM »
I think I made a good decision by picking Arley rather that Dunham - I'm a borders and flowers person.
You will like Arley Hall, Eric! The greeting from my family when they caught up with me was "I bet your loving this, Dad". On their walk through the gardens to catch up with me, they knew it was "my kind of garden".

Comments from visitors to these gardens is great. Thanks for your "report" on Bodnant. A spring visit would be of most interest to me - to see the Rhodos and Camellias etc.
Did you notice if they have many japanese maples?

Each time I visit a garden, I buy any literature specific about the gardens in their shop, in particular, a Plant List.
If you had time to visit their shop, did you notice if they have a plant list for Bodnant?

I found their website:
http://www.bodnant-gardens.co.uk/
Linked from that site is a slide show:
http://www.bodnant-gardens.co.uk/slideshows%20of%20bodnant%20gardens%20kevin%20jones.htm
and a slide show here
http://www.bodnant-gardens.co.uk/bodnant%20card%20pack/From%20the%20Croquet%20terrace,%20%20Bodnant%20Gardens.htm

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:43:24 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
What? spend money? Never!
There is a spring album on Photobucket if you care to look.