Book Corner > General discussion

Some useful books for identifying plants

(1/3) > >>

ideasguy:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/useful_books.asp

From my favourite books, I can thoroughly recommend the following which are mentioned in the list on the above web page:

Brickell, C. (ed.) (1996). The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. Dorling Kindersley, London.

van Gelderen, D.M. & van Hoey Smith, J.R.P. (1986). Conifers. Batsford, London.

Phillips, R. & Rix, E.M. (1991). Perennials. Pan, London. [2 vols.].

Any members like to add their recommendations?

Kew:

--- Quote from: ideasguy on May 26, 2006, 04:23:23 PM ---http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/useful_books.asp

Brickell, C. (ed.) (1996). The Royal Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. Dorling Kindersley, London.

--- End quote ---

I have the new one of this, it's now a 2 book version and it's very good. It's single book Dutch equivalent would be 'Atrium Tuinplanten Encyclopedie by none other than Chris Brickell...again!
I have Collins Tree Guide which is invaluable for wood wanderers like what I am...It's the best for tree ID I've yet come across.

ideasguy:
Thanks again Kem. I'll add that Collins Tree Guide book to the list!

Over here, the Ash and Horse Chestnut are probably the most common trees. Older larger gardens seem to have a border of Scots pines- must have been popular once. What do you have in your woods?

Kew:
Basically it's an oak wood but also plenty of sweet and horse chestnuts, rowan, birch, ash, beech and quite a lot of hazel from which I make most of my home-made walking sticks. There's a little blackthorne around the wood edge and the odd holly, but English and (Turkish?) oak predominates.

greenfinger:
Yes, indeed, you live in a green area there, Mr.Kew. I remember making walkings through those woods to reach the port of Antwerp and seeing the eternal flames of the refineries. I didn't do a lot of plant identification, but I may say I knew the barmaids in the one local café pretty well. Those were the days, my dear Kew, but then I was less than 85 and still a jeune premier. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version