Plants > Weeds

Weeds, weeds and more weeds

<< < (2/4) > >>

ideasguy:
RE:
--- Quote ---There are of course others that I don?t know the name of.
--- End quote ---
Looking over your list, you know the names of a lot more weeds than I do. I probably have them all in my wild bits.
I laugh over one incident when I started to garden. I lost my fathers old wheelbarrow! It turned up in the long grass in the far corner of the garden  ::)

You mentioned Red Campion growing in a wild area of your garden. I have this really nice plant in my garden, which I have never positively identified.
A garden expert told me (I showed hima stem, leaf and flower) that it was a Pulmonaria. I dont think he is correct.
The nearest Ive got to it is I believe it to be a variety of red campion.
However its a beautiful shade of pink. It spreads slowly. It doesnt appear to self seed. Flowers for ages.
You can see it in the background of this photo:

Is Red Campion a weed?

Lyn and Malcolm:

Are you both Organic gardeners ?

Malcolm

Eric Hardy:
That looks very nice George, I can't tell from the photo whether it is red campion but it looks as though it could be. I would not call it a weed. It is a woodland and hedgerow flower. Anthea collected the seeds from some by the roadside so that we could have them in our wild bit. I do not have a photo but here is a link to someone else's on Flickr
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2584874666_1475925b25.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek48/2584874666/&usg=__CID2_-aAfg5lRMU-eV5CZO_Mnnk=&h=375&w=500&sz=85&hl=en&start=1&sig2=4uzafKuBaPl2BlkLnPy2-A&um=1&tbnid=7c6rzeuJrhcCnM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dred%2Bcampion%2Bflower%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=Jm8ASrq5OIHH-Aai0cC7Ag

Red Campions have male flowers and female flowers so you need both if you want them to self seed. Apparently it is common in Northern Ireland according to this website http://www.cvni.org/wildflowernursery/wildflowers/red-campion

They don't look like pulmenaria to me. This is what I have always understood to be pulmanaria and it is flowering in our garden at the moment.

Eric H

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: Lyn and Malcolm on May 05, 2009, 06:08:32 PM ---Are you both Organic gardeners ?
--- End quote ---

I am not sure if we qualify as organic gardeners, Malcolm. We try to be as green as possible and avoid slug bait outside to avoid poisoning birds. We try all the usual tricks like coffee grounds, upturned grapefruit and so on. We allow ourselves slug bait in the greenhouse because birds don't get in there normally and the slugs and snails seem to find nice moist areas in there to hide. We don't use weedkiller except the sort you can spot bindweed leaves with. It is supposed to work its way down to the roots but as we don't find it very effective we don't use that much either. We do resort to a spray for the black-fly on runner beans but we grow marigolds among the runner beans which is supposed to be a deterrent to the black-fly. I don't know how true that is. That all probably doesn't qualify as "organic" but perhaps does qualify as "making a little effort to be green".

Eric H

Palustris:
We tried growing the Marigold which is supposed to get rid of Couch. The couch choked it!
We have another nasty weed, in that it has a long tap root, common mallow.
We do have a few introduced ones like Comfrey (not us, never planted it, hate the stuff, gives us both nasty rashes) and almost any cultivated geranium you care to mention. Filled compost 20 bags with them this last few weeks.
BUT, without doubt the most frustrating weed is Ragwort. It is not in our hedgerows and we have never allowed it to flower and have sprayed it with Verdone in the grass and watched it die, but every year up it comes somewhere else.
Size is not always a problem either, I have great difficulty removing two tiny things from plant pots, pearlwort and what ever the white flowered thing is.
Be glad that 99% of dandelion seeds are sterile!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version