Author Topic: Dimorphotheca (thought of as annual Osteospermums)  (Read 3575 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Dimorphotheca (thought of as annual Osteospermums)
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Has anyone grown Dimorphotheca from seed?
Reading through the web site link I gave to Eric H yesterday, I find that they are the annual equivalent of the tender perennial Osteospermum.
I'm very fond of the Osteospermums so may give these a try.
I've grown them from seed before, successfully.

Chiltern have two offerings:
(1)
Dimorphotheca aurantiaca 'Glistening White'
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/211/moreinfo/pid/31510284

(2)
Dimorphotheca aurantiaca Improved Hybrids
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/211/moreinfo/pid/31510283

Reminder:
If you decide to buy seed from Chiltern, be sure to use the Catalogs program GA040. It can be used with Flower Genie, Ideas Genie or Ideas Genie Pro.
Use the program to Print off a Mail Order and post it with payment. That way, Chiltern can see that its from "us" and it gives support to my efforts to convince Chiltern that our Catalog on CD (or Download) is a viable proposition.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Dimorphotheca (thought of as annual Osteospermums)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »

I hadn't heard of those before George.

That is one problem with the Chiltern written catalogue, no pictures. You can read through the catalogue, and easily dismiss any you have never heard of before. Ok the web catalogue has some pictures, but I admit I don't have time to cross reference for pictures.

That leads us back to the IG Chiltern catalogue, would be great to have a lot more pictures on that, but as you are not being paid to support that?. And it would need updating every year, it would be a lot of work. :(

Back to the Dimorphotheca seeds, I will give them a try next year, now I know what they are.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Dimorphotheca (thought of as annual Osteospermums)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
They look interesting, I have to say.
Mind you, I'm tempted to try some more of the ones on that web site:
http://www.osteospermum.com/

Yes, the Chiltern Catalog is a lot of work. This year, I spent weeks mapping their names to IG Pro names, 4000 of them. It was the 2008 list. Then, shortly after I got that massive task finished, along came the 2009 list. I had to go through a different kind of exercise, identifying those that were new in 2009 and going throtuh the mapping process for them.
The programs should make it easier for 2010  ;)

As discussed elsewhere, Ive also developed a suite of special programs which I use to create links for plants in the Master database to the photos in the WPG projects, and then to the plants in Catalogs.
It would be very good for all WPG folk if this was a success. Ive done my bit - its all in place.