Author Topic: Ipheion uniflorum  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Ipheion uniflorum
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »

Quite a small flower on this plant, made to look even better when photographed up close. Flowering now, but got flattened by another dose of snow during the past week.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Ipheion uniflorum
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
Isnt it a little beauty!
And, very brave to putting on a flower at this time of year, after the cold week weve had.
Blue flowers in the garden are rare at this time of year. What height is the plant Malcolm?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »

About 10 to 15cm George.

It was a plant that escaped the IG pro database, we have had it for 10 years or more, quite a lot of foliage, but as you say, a beauty of a flower.
I wouldn't say the plant itself is a beauty.

I was continuing the yearly check of the plants in the garden, against the database, when I found the plant without a label, which will be rectified tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to photographing the plants we don't have pictures of in our database. I had thought earlier in the winter, that I might have a picture with an apology on it for the plants we don't have a picture for, if you see what I mean  :P

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
Its quite a daintly little thing then Malcolm. Is it hardy with you?

Ive done that image switch in the Catalog program Malcolm (GA040).
Have a look at it. When the Catalog doesnt have a disc photo it shows a Blue "photo" with text on it
When the Catalog doesnt have a disc photo but DOES have Web photos, it shows a Green "photo" with text on it
Easy enough to make those images in Photoshop. I'll make one up for you if you pick a colour (say with the WPG colour chooser) and text to go on it.
Better still, I could work that image into "the workings" of the WPG, to create it automatically as an option in the program.
Good idea!!!
What do the other WPGers think?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
We haven't had any problems with it's hardiness here George, it takes all the weather fine.

The idea of a "sorry no image yet" photo in the wpg as you describe, would be another asset to the program George.

Would the program seek out those plants that don't have a link to a photo in the wpg and apply the "sorry" one.

While on the subject of plants with no photo in the wpg.

In GA032s08 there is an option to show plants with no web photo, it would be great to be able to copy and paste those plants into word and print them out. I can't see a way of copying more than one of the entries.
Unless you know different?  ::)

Edit, seems like copy is disabled on that page anyway.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:34:21 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
RE:
Would the program seek out those plants that don't have a link to a photo in the wpg and apply the "sorry" one.
Yes, I could make it do that.
It could be an option. Yes if you plant to get a photo in the near future.

As for printing a list of the ones needing photos - as you can see in my Camellias project, I'm facing the same problem.
There are quite a few I need to get photos for.

I'll try to get something done on that this coming week.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
The picture looks more like Ipheion uniflora Rolf Fiedler than straight I uniflorum. I.u. Wisley Blue is paler and straight I.u. is more pink. There are others too like Froyle Mill and Alberto Castillo and Charlotte Bishop. All of which I have tried and failed with except for straight I.U.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
I think this is Ipheion uniflorum