Author Topic: Sowing Seed  (Read 3008 times)

Offline no ideas man

Sowing Seed
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
Hi fellow members
                        just a little thing to pass on, when sowing seed at this time of year (winter) I always prepare the seed tray 24 hrs in advance and then by placing it in the propagator it allows the compost to warm up slightly this is just my method and i though it might be of some help to other members

happy gardening

harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Sowing Seed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
How did it work this year Harry?

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:06:04 AM »
Hi George
              It works very well, some seed germinate within 5 days but be careful you can get overun with seedlings waiting to be transplanted it's not to bad for me being retired I can find the time but members holding down a job could find it a problem.

Happy Gardening

Harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »
... be careful you can get overun with seedlings waiting to be transplanted
I know that feeling only too well Harry
I'm a hoarder, by nature!
I can never draw the line and say, thats enough of one tray procked out. I just dont have the heart to throw away seedlings. I end up with pots everywhere.

When you grow plants from seed, theres always the chance that you will produce a new cultivar.
I read once that some of the best cultivars come from "weak looking" seedlings. That made the decision making even worse!

Glad to hear things are germinating well for you.

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:03:41 AM »
Hi george
               I have just sown a pkt of seed Viola penny sunrise using the vermiculite ( previous post) method with the intention of growing them on in the greenhouse overwinter for planting out next spring. Let you know how I get on.

Happy gardening

Harry

Offline MargeSimpson

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »
I can never draw the line and say, thats enough of one tray procked out. I just dont have the heart to throw away seedlings. I end up with pots everywhere.
This was my first year sowing seeds. I started in April, over the Easter weekend. I went NUTS! I bought loads of seeds and then I got these great kits where seeds & soil were supplied in a propagator. I took over all the window sills and the hot press. I had better success then I thought I would and I had a terrible time thinning the seedlings. I couldn't decide which ones to loose, so I bought 60 more 3 inch pots!! The whole thing became hard work and the constant turn over and reshuffling in the mini greenhouse was a nightmare - but I still couldn't throw enough away.

Anyway, long story short - I learned enough this year not to do the same thing next year. Not every seed has to be sown. (Must fight the compulsion)

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:30:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I came across this website some time ago and I think it is a jewel. http://www.robsplants.com/seedstarting.php
A lot of folks on this board are european(sp) and I am US. I have a lot to learn in re 'terms'.  For example, Marge, what is "hot press" Gene

Offline MargeSimpson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi Gene

Hot water used for washing, etc is stored in a large tank (cylinder). The cylinder is situated in a small room called a hot press. Generally the hot press is found in the bedroom area of a house and it is used to keep sheets and blankets, and clothes that need airing (fully drying out after washing). The cylinder looses a certain amount of heat - so they call it a hot press. Hope that explains a 'hot press'.
I think it is a colloquial term so I am not sure if they go by other names elsewhere! One more thing - 'press' is another word for cupboard.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:46:37 AM by MargeSimpson »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »
Marge, you are a star! I saw that post from Gene last night and wondered how we could explain what a hotpress was. Youve excelled in your reply!

Re your earlier posting:
I couldn't decide which ones to loose, so I bought 60 more 3 inch pots!!

I seem to have accumulated a small quantity of little 2in pots from buying small plants from supermarkets.
I've never had much luck with plants in small pots as, like Harry says, you need to be retired from a day job to have the time to check on things during hot days in early summer. They always dried out on me, and the occupants died.
However, this year, I found those 2in pots were superb, and they had a lot of advantages:
1) I could prick out and transplant small seedlings directly into the 2in pots, rather than into another seed tray. Thus, minimal disturbance when they need potting on.
2) 60 2in pots need a lot less greenhouse space than 3in pots. Keep more seedlings!!!
3) Need less compost

I'll use 2in pots more next year. Haven't noticed them on offer in my usual stores though!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
Re your earlier posting Harry:
I have just sown a pkt of seed Viola penny sunrise using the vermiculite ( previous post) method with the intention of growing them on in the greenhouse overwinter for planting out next spring. Let you know how I get on.

Thats great! Let us know when they germinate, and how the seedlings overwinter.

My Viola 'Bowles Black' plants (grown from the seed you sent me) are doing just great. I had a surplus, and gave some to my friends, and they are very well appreciated. Lovely little flowers, but then, aren't all Violas? My only complaint is that they sprawl a bit (get leggy) as they age. Do you trim them back in your garden?