Author Topic: How to print labels from IG PRO via a Brother PT2100 printer  (Read 8761 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
How to print labels from IG PRO via a Brother PT2100 printer
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
How to print out a label on a Brother PT2100 via IGPRO label GA048

Switch on the PT  printer do not open PT programme

Start IG Pro
Start Labels> GA048 Check you have V19 or a later version if not download  here http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igprox/ you will also need to download Labels for use in GA048 Download File: labelcds-dl.exe

In the Label drop down box select Brother PT2100
Click the New Labels button

In GA042S02
Click Gardener and Garden Areas pop-ups to get list of plants
Click to select a plant in the list
Now click on the "label" on the left
That "transfers" the plant onto the label

Click Edit button Screen GA048S03 appears click Label Data button

this will fill Edit the Plant name and label data below boxes,

you only need to edit in the LABEL DATA box aim for 4 lines of text such as

Canna 'Indica
Colour:- Red Perennial           
Flowering Time: Aug to Oct
Height: 220cm  Spread: 50cm

The total number of characters on 1 line for a 60mm label is 22 this includes spaces, commas etc

Click the Save button
Screen GA048S02 re-appears showing your label text in top left hand corner, ignore plant name at top

Make sure Preview is not selected

then click Print and a preference box will appear with your printers in it select Brother PT2100

In the Preference box click on preferences and this box will appear

in this Printing Preferences box
select NORMAL FORMAT this should already be showing
Length change to your desired length mine is 60mm
Orientation change to landscape
you can also change the number of copies here if you wish

Click on OK
This will return you to the previous preferences box click on APPLY then PRINT

Your label should then be printed

This a 60mm printed label stuck onto a pot label

This is a bed label length of label was changed to 45mm, free size which allows you to alter size of layout if need be, this was printed in split form through the PT2100 programme

Link to Brother website for the PT2100 Printer http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/eu/eu_ot/en/model_top/P-touch/2100euk.html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=2100euk

If you are useing this printer and need any help with the above steps please feel free to pm me, The labels i use to stick the 60mm off tape to are these arrow labels 100mm x 20mm http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Blacklands-Plants_Plant-Labels_W0QQ_fsubZ6322189QQ_sidZ111831266QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Phil

Edited 27 Feb 2009

Tip when using the printer it automatically feeds and cuts off 25mm of the laminated tape, to avoid this each time print of 1 extra label, i.e if you want 10 labels do 11, the 10 will be cut off but label Number 11 will be printed but not cut off in the printer untill you come to print off more labels, then just do the same again 1 extra label, this way you are saving 25mm of tape before each printing session.
Edited 12 May 2009
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:41:55 AM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: How to print labels from IG PRO via a Brother PT2100 printer
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
Thats a very good "How to..." Phil
Excellent in fact!

Like me, Toby will be excited to see others taking an interest in the Labels program.
It will be very interesting to see how durable the labels are.
Have you used that label material before?

Offline roiphil

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
Yes you may remeber the topic on it here http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,889.msg4807.html#msg4807

here they are outside facing westardly i have stuck them onto a piece of plastic milk carton, as i have no plant labels, label 1 on left is also stapled onto plastic, label 2 on right is only stuck on, the tape is stickable aswell as laminated, the test begins 23 Jan 09

Update after 5 months on the first ones they are still stuck to the milk carton plastic and i have been useing them on the plant labels aswell and so far i have none come unstuck,

worked out how much the cost to make, with the arrow plant label i am useing costs ?18.48 for 133 and 1 cartridge laminated tape costs ?32.38 they cost 38c per 133 labels each at 60mm, 133 labels is the amount i can get out of 1 cartridge at 60mm per label,

i have found cheaper arrow labels of the same size as they need to be 18mm wide minimum, buying these other labels 1000 at a time costs ?31.00 then if if i purchased enough of the tape in one go 8 cartridges ?154.65 will make the labels 18c each, think bulk buying and reduce costs

Came across this label printer aswell which prints directly onto pointed arrow labels or loop lock labels
http://www.labelzone.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?bolBrand=True&product=50139A4D-9BFF-4B95-B2B4-7DD73AF4AED7&category=CEF6F84C-BC3B-48A3-89A3-AEC0923E6175 this site is where i found the cheaper labels just follow the link on website that says click to buy labels for this printer

Offline roiphil

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
Thought i would do an update

After 3 years of using the PT2100 printer with TZ laminated tapes, the writing is just as clear as day one and the labels are still stuck onto the T bed labels or the arrow labels i use, my labels are either outside all year or in a greenhouse/polytunnel

Conclusion i think we have found a relatively cheap permanent way of labeling plants and with the new updates to the printing via IGPRO all thanks to george
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,1811.0.html,
i think we need to do also is to make a list of stockists of the tape, labels etc for future reference plus find one that can supply at the best price, any thoughts on the list idea

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Many thanks Phil. I'd forgotten all about that topic ::)  :-[

I am very pleased to read that the labels have proved to be durable, even in our "moist" end of the planet!

A new topic on the consumables might be a good idea for stockists lists.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
update december 2013 i came across some of my old labels from 2009/10 still still in good readable condition and stuck fast to the label

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the update Phil.
I'm certainly pleased with the durability of mine, after 1 year and a bit :D

Offline roiphil