Author Topic: Bromsgrove and District Flower Arranging Society  (Read 7213 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Bromsgrove and District Flower Arranging Society
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:33:42 PM »
We are lucky! We have our own Floral art expert in our midst!

Chrissie (The Gardener) is the Publicity officer and webmaster of
Bromsgrove and District Flower Arranging Society
There's a great Photo Gallery, and details of the demonstrations and results of competitions organised by that club.

You'll find some absolutely gorgeous plants that you can grow in your garden. e.g.
The April 2004 Flower of the month Winner:
Camellia 'Brushfield's Yellow'
Exhibited by one Chris Harten  ;)

On Chrissies own web site
A Flower Arranger's Garden
you'll find an extensive photo gallery of more than 100 flower arrangements to view, with details of the mechanics and plant materials used.

So to get this thread rolling, pay Chrissies site a visit, and enjoy!

Also a quick question to Chrissie. I dont see any reference to who does the judging  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 04:41:42 PM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
Re: Bromsgrove and District Flower Arranging Society
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:12:16 AM »
Hi George

Thanks for the "plug"!  The flower arrangement and flower of the month exhibits are judged by whoever is demonstrating that month.  People who are into flower arranging and attend flower clubs regularly are aware of this, so that's why there's no reference to it on the website.  I am forgetting that there are obviously lots of people out there who don't know how things work in a flower club!  My apologies to them  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »
RE: The plug, You are very welcome, of course, and its much deserved, Its great to have you here as our resident expert.

When you say "whoever is demonstrating that month", do you mean a person who is not a member of your club who has been invited to give a demonstration?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 12:48:21 AM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
When you say "whoever is demonstrating that month", do you mean a person who is not a member of your club who has been invited to give a demonstration?

Yes George.  NAFAS (The National Association of Flower Arrangement Societies) has many affiliated clubs throughout the country (of which we are one), split into several areas.  Each area has a list of accredited flower arrangement demonstrators, teachers and speakers.  The programme secretary of each club then has the task of booking someone from their area list for each month's demonstration.  This is usually done at least twelve months in advance.  The people on the area list are known as Area Demonstrators, and will travel within their area.  There is also a list of National Demonstrators, those people of high calibre (and high price!) who will travel nationally and also abroad.  When a person comes to demonstrate, they are usually asked to judge the competitions as well.  Demonstrators and speakers have to pass a NAFAS test in order to be listed on the area list, and another more difficult test to become a National Demonstrator.  Teachers have to have passed their exams and have a teaching certificate. 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 07:12:28 PM »
Thats very impressive. I had no idea it had such an organisational structure.

Now that you have explained that,and rather than ask questions when the answers are already provided,  Ive had a peep at "About me".
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/aboutme.html
and note at the bottom of the page that you teach flower arranging (and play the saxaphone!).
Thas also very impressive!