Author Topic: Garden tools  (Read 1946 times)

Offline no ideas man

Garden tools
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:22:39 AM »
Hi fellow gardeners

It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking you must have the latest piece of all singing all dancing garden equipment and I am just as guilty as the rest of us I have tools in my shed that have not seen the light of day since I bought them I think it's down to media and magazines which telll you (you must have this or that) to be successful. gardeners of a bygone age made do with muscles and a strong back which I do not have getting soft in my old age right I am going to get down from the soapbox now the kettle is boiling time for a cuppa

Offline Pixydish

Re: Garden tools
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »
You are so right! One of my favorite examples of this is the compost tumbler! My neighbor was moving and offering his double compost tumbler for 50$ so I bought it, thinking that it would speed up my compost pile. How wrong I was! It was actually much harder to use than my regular compost pile because one had to put all of the browns and greens in the tumbler at the same time. I couldn't add freshly pulled weeds or raked leaves each day, because it would spoil the mix. IN addition, I found it difficult to turn the handle. I never any compost out of this thing. I sold it, however, for 100$. So at least I made a nice profit!!

My very favorite garden tool is the root knife I got from an American company called Lee Valley Tools. It is sturdy, sharp, the right size for my hand, and I can use it for almost everything from cutting thick roots to dividing perennials. It's a great tool!
My favorite greenhouse tool is a chopstick! I can lift tender leaves, move dirt around in pots, etc using a simple chopstick.

Offline no ideas man

Re: Garden tools
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
Hi pixydish
               As i said in an earlier post tumblers get quite heavy and unless you have muscles like Charles atlas are hard to turn if you check the postings there is this guy in Aus that as tumblers that work on some kind of rachet which makes them easy to turn as I said like you I never really got any usable compost either.