Author Topic: Using the Articles program  (Read 9749 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Using the Articles program
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »
RE:
Question when using ARTICLES: Example; I have been working with tulips all day, and I know I have an article in ARTICLES relating to planting tulips in pots, is there anything in GA022 or a similar screen, that would indicate that there are articles on tulips (Bulbs) in ARTICLES. Something like ?has photos? or do I go through ?retrieve? to check on articles relating to tulips, and find the article I?m looking for that way?
A very good question!
Directly:
Currently, the answer in no, as in the same way as "Has Photos".
But, let me think about that. If we can generate enough interest in Articles...  ;)
Indirectly
In any program, edit the plant profile, as if you were changing the plant name or deleting a plant.
You arrive at screen GA100S02
This screen gives a list of articles related to the plant.

Heres another suggestion:
Did you know you can run two instances of IG Pro?
On the desktop, click the IG pro icon. IG pro starts. Lets call this Session 1
In session 1, Start one of the programs, say GA022
On the desktop, click the IG pro icon again. A second instance of IG pro starts. Lets call this Session 2
In session 2, start the Articles program
Now as you work you can switch quickly between Session 1 and Session 2
If in session 1, you want to know if a plant has an article, switch to Session 2.

You can also run multiple instances of BG, FG, IG and Bonsai Genie

Running multiple sessions:
Do not edit the same plant profile in both sessions
If you add a plant (or edit, delete etc) in Session 1, it becomes imediately available in Session 2
However, you may need to refresh the screen.
e.g.
You are showing a list of Rhododendron in session 1
You are showing the same list of Rhododendron in session 2
You add, edit or delete a Rhodo in session 1
When you switch to session 2, the screen does not change to reflect the changes you made.
You need to refresh the screen in some (any!) way. Select another Genus, then re-select Rhododendron.
The changes will now be refreshed in session 2
Easy peasy?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:55:04 AM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
RE:
I don?t know if this is the correct way in ARTICLES to play videos in ARTICLES, but it worked. I copied the Golden Gate Magazine URL to notepad, opened ARTICLES, worked by way to GA007S11. When I tried to paste the URL it came up in the Google area. I clicked the Google button, it brought up Golden Gate into its search, clicked on it, Golden Gate?s home page opened up, clicked on Web Extras, clicked on the video to play and watched the video on GAS100S35 sound and all (or a number similar, I?m not sure if I wrote this down correctly).
I'm not understanding this

I'm OK with this:
I don?t know if this is the correct way in ARTICLES to play videos in ARTICLES, but it worked. I copied the Golden Gate Magazine URL to notepad, opened ARTICLES, worked by way to GA007S11. 

but what happened here?
When I tried to paste the URL it came up in the Google area.
To make this permanent, you needed to paste that URL into GA007S11 and Save Changes
Is that what you did?
If yes, you can navigate back to GA007S11 and click that link again.
Please clarify, Toby

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:40:21 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »
George:

This might answer your last posting, it was written before reading it:

I have successfully viewed a GG Magazine Video completely through using ARTICLES all the way, and not using the GOOGLE button:

I pasted GG Magazine hyperlink to WORD and saved it as WORD document. Worked my self to ARTICLES GA007S11 and added TITLE, clicked on GET, found document and opened. FILE (the C\:) came up, I highlighted and right clicked. Message of OPEN FILE, which I did, got the hyperlink, CONTROL and CLICKED it, got message that IFG_IGP_EXE wanted access, I allowed, and GG Magazine Home Page opened, clicked Web Extras and played video.

I hope you can follow above, I feel very inadequate in my computer skills at the moment, but it WORKS!!

Also aded on after reading your last posting; Yes, I did SAVE CHANGES.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
RE:
I pasted GG Magazine hyperlink to WORD and saved it as WORD document.
Theres no need to do that. You dont need WORD.
Paste the link (URL) straight into GA007S11
Save changes
Then click the link
Try that and let me know how you get on

Offline bossgard

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
Much quicker that way. Opened GG Mag. home page, and played video, just to see if everything was OK. It was.

Unless you have more challenges in mind, I think the best thing for me to do is to go back to  my printed tutorials, the hard copies of the challenges and all the accumulated other paper work, of what all has transpired in the last couple of days. Sometimes I get carried away with the excitement of 'playing the game' when working this hard, instead of sticking to the rules. Besides tutorials are more fun, when you're using  your own data. I have more questions about ARTICLES GA007, but will hold them for time being.

Our Thanksgive Holiday is fast approaching for Thursday, and Friday we are supposed to enjoy a long hike. Hope the weather stays good, there's a light rain out there at the present.

Advise, if you have more CHALLENGES in mind.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
Youve done very well, I'm proud of you!

Theres another way, Toby.
If you were able to download the video, onto your own computer, then you could run it locally, by simply posting a link to the location of the video file on your computer into GA007S11.
Its exactly the same as posting a link to a "document" in GA007S11.
The advantage is you will always have it. If its on the net, the web site may decide to replace it with some other video, and your URL wont work any more.

Thats why I asked the question earlier, asking if you had managed to download the video.

Do a google search on "save streamed video"  and you'll find theres software out there to allow the user to save any videos you stream onto your computer.
Ive had a quick look today, but havent done this yet. If anyone out there wants a BIG challenge, well, go ahead and see if you can download and save a video from the net. It looks a bit "techy".

I will start the Lessons for winter 2008 this week, Toby. Look out for a posting folk.
Meanwhile, please go ahead and post your questions about Articles. Its nice to see activitiy on this topic, so it will help keep it "hot".
(When you are ready of course)

I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving an that hike. Good to see you are keeping fit!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:11:30 PM by ideasguy »