Author Topic: Using the Articles program  (Read 9750 times)

Offline bossgard

Using the Articles program
« on: November 19, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
This is an interesting topic and Ive decided to broadcast it so members out there can look in on the thread and learn how to get the most out of the articles program (Articles - GA007 is exactly the same in Ideas Genie, Bonsai Genie and Ideas Genie Pro).
Please log-in and catch up on the dialog so far.
You'll find recommended tutorials. Once youve worked through those, then you are ready to have a go at the "Challenges" set further into this topic. If you get stuck, simply post yur questions. We will all learn from the questions and answers.
Recommended to all!

OK, heres how the thread originated, with an innocent question from Toby the Boss (aka Bossgard).

George: Have some questions re: organizing my material to prepare for CHALLENGES.

Preliminary info: I walked myself through the steps that you gave to Brian for EVENTS GA011, SPECIMENS GA029 & TASKS GA047. Stumbled quite a bit, but at least generated print-outs for GA047 and GA011. All I can say is WOW! My head is spinning now thinking of how I can best use those. But will save any questions until you?re ready with the CHALLENGES.

I don?t think that you have mentioned them, but I hope you also have us work with GA007 ARTICLES. In preparation, I have linked a magazine to a Genus using GA007. I have many, many (too many) newspaper clippings of gardening articles written by local garden writers, who give very good advice that I?m trying to organize to enter into IG Pro 5.

Q. Will I be using GA007 LINKING A MAGAZINE ARTICLE to do this? If so, what information will be important to keep? Should I retain the author?s name, the newpaper name and publication date, along with the actual article? If I start cutting words apart, I will lose some information that I might need later. Your advice, please. Thanks.

- Toby
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:20:58 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
I'm flat out on the new edition of Bank Genie to make some headway, but will be a able to take a little time out to get the Challenges started soon.

GA007 - The Articles program
I'm glad you asked about that. Its was a little masterpiece at the time, but I fear its not being used enough - I font get much feedback  :'(

The best way to learn how to so articles is to do the tutorials for GA007.
The impportant thing is to read the "Pre-requisites" for each tutorial.
In the case of asrticles, yeou need to add Books, Magazines etc to the system.
Theres a program or each of these.
Go to Files, and run Programs GA008, GA009, GA010 and GA020
Add your own titles in each case.
Then do the tutorials for GA007.
Let me know how that goes

Yes, we'll do an Articles challenge as well. I'd like to get feedback and make sure folk know how to use it.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
George:

I?m sorry, and I hate to take up your very busy time, but I don?t think I made myself quite clear regarding GA007 ARTICLES. I did run through the tutorials as you are suggesting, and as I said linked a magazine article to the Genus.

However, I didn?t think using the magazine edition information quite fitted the entering of the newspaper information. Would you like me to do a test run on the GA007 ARTICLES using all 3; books, magazines, and also using the magazine data entry for the newspaper clippings, and feed you back that info on how the whole thing goes, when you need it?

Just answer yes or no, will act accordingly  . . . . . rain is scheduled for tomorrow, will give me a good time to really get it going. At your beck and call  . . .

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
I would use "Other" for newspaper cuttings.
However, I'm not sure what you intend to do you with the newspaper clippings, so question to you:
Do you want to
a) scan them to make a jpg, bitmap, pdf etc?
b) Use OCR to capture the text in the article, to sane typing
c) Retype the text in the article

In the case of b) and c) the instructions are the same as explained in tutorial:
GA007 4(32) Add an internet resource

Follow those instruction steps and use the same principles for b) and c)

In GA007S02 the secret is to click the Add a memo document button
Thats the main purpose of GA007.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:49:36 AM »
George:

Definitely not ?c?. Have been into the OCR program, but it took awhile to get hard copy instructions printed out, and the scanning is certainly a possibility. Am working on the OCR as time allows.

Played with the Tutorials again today and worked with the ?Other Source? and think by the time I get through, that might be the choice for newspaper clippings (Also noticed ?Scanned Doc.?, and ?Word? buttons.) By doing that, the three main sources of articles I have (books, magazines, newspaper) would then have their own ?home?, at least to start with. But those decisions can be made later, after I play a little bit more, and when you are ready with the CHALLENGES.

The decision I need to make now is preparing those newspaper clippings for the work that I will do with them later. The books and magazines are all filed and easy to find and work, but the clippings are stored in quite a few boxes, with excess paper baggage that I do not need. That prompted the questions.

Example: Two of the writers write Q&A columns with probably 3 or 4 different questions and answers, each covering different gardening topics, in the same article. At this point I have decided to cut the various questions together with their answers apart, attach each of them separately to standard size paper, paper clip those together and attach info identifying them by date, author, source, captions, whatever, etc. Doing it that way, I will have the info I need at my finger tips when I start working with them, and not have all the excess newspaper sections that I have retained. It?s like cleaning out the junk, and having the ?good stuff? left.

Sorry, if I?m a ?pain-in-the-neck?, especially since you are busy with Bank Genie.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »
Very quickly, a few tips

1) DONT cut those articles up. (Why? - I'll explain later today)

2) of the 3 options for adding an article:
a) Scanned document
b) WORD doc
c) Memo
Use the Memo at all times.
Again, I'll explain leter

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:56:12 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
George:

Thank you, Sir! Will await your words of wisdom.

(Have a heavy rain and wind storm approaching, supposed to be this one, and another following in 7 to 8 hours. Hang on tight!!)

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Using the Articles program
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »
Ive had a look at the tutorials, and see Ive covered the things I wanted to say, Toby (and other members, please give this a go)

Tutorial GA007-6(63) (associated with program GA007)
This tutorial will take you through the steps to create a reference to a document on your local drive. The document can be a number of things e.g. HTML documents, WORD documents, jpg files or GIF files etc ???.   
When you have completed this tutorial, run Tutorial No 64 to see how to display documents you set references to in the technique explained in this tutorial.

MORE INFO:
WHY YOU SHOULD USE LOCAL HTML DOCUMENTS.
You can easily create HTML documents within WORD. Type up a new document or open an existing WORD document, and click on "File >  Save As" and change the "Save as Type" field to "Web Page (*.htm, *.html)". Simple!!
The advantages are enormous! HTML documents are rapidly displayed within Ideas Genie. References to HTML documents requires very little disk space within Ideas Genie, much less than a reference to a word document. .You can of course merge Photos and Text within an HTML document (as in WORD).

This tutorial will show you how to enter documents into the big memo field (text region) in screen GA007S11.
Documents such as Word documents, local HTML pages, pdf files, images of any type, etc  - all are permissable.

Once you have the documents appearing in the memo field, then do the tutorial:
GA007- 7(64)

The result - you can link to any document on your own computer.
The Articles program acts as an index to your documents.

Other members:
Please give this a go, and let me know if there are questions.

OK, next thing to explain.
In old fashioned filing systems you had a big cabinet and an indexing system.
Yoiu had to think carefully about the topic of any document you had to file away.
If a document had multiple topic content, that casued problems. How ofter have you looked up an item in a filing system only to find you filed it under a different topic?

GA007 solves that problem.
You can "file" your Articles under as many topics as you wish.

First, you create Topics by running the program Topics for articles -GA021 under the File tab on the menu
Add a new topic
Then add a few sub topics for that topic (You must have sub topics for this to work)

Once you have created a few topics, start GA007.
Find an article youve created previously.
Double click and you get to screen GA007S02
You'll see 3 panes.
The one we are focusing on is on the right Categories or Topics in this article.
Click Work with this list under the pane
Screen GA007S06 appears

Click on the pop-up, top left corner of the screen and select the new topic you added in GA021 above
The sub topics appear in the list with the caption Select from this list on the left.
Double click on one of the sub topics.
Note how it now appears in the list with the caption : Selected for this article
Repeat this as necessary if you wish to "file" this article under any other topics.
There is no limit!
Click Done
Screen GA007S02 reappears
Note how your "filing" Topics are listed in the Categories or Topics in this article list

Click Done

Initial screen re-appears.

Now to "retrieve" our document from our "filing system"
Click the Topic pop-up and select your new Topic
Click Go button
Your document appears in the list along with other in the same Topic.

If you build up a large list of items:
Click the Sub Topic pop-up and select your new Sub Topic
Click Go button

Id very much like to hear feedback from all members about this.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:43:38 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
The Challenges for today:
1. Do a search for your the memo article you added by following the tutorials (above)
Tip: In the initial screen - Use the Topic and Sub Topic pop-ups, then click GO

2 Find your way to screen GA007S11 (the big edit screen)
Tips:
Step 1 will get you into screen GA007S02.
You can add a number of memos to any one article
There are three lists (large white windows).
The list on the left has the caption: Summary of documents associated with this article
You will see a list of memos associated with your article.
Now double click on any memo in the list in screen GA007S02. This will take you to screen GA007S11
Your stuck if you cant do this step!

3. In screen GA007S11, Insert a WORD document into your Memo
Tip
Heres an example of what that will look like
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ideasguy\DESKTOP\tobys word document.DOC
Tip
You may find it easier to keep the document name on one line.
i.e. click Return after the name of the document has been inserted
Tip
Note that you need to provide the full path for this to work
Tip
Remember to click Save changes button

4 Repeat the steps as required to find your way to screen GA007S11.

5. Display your WORD document
Tip
The Help text says:
Left click into the Document Reference text, then double right click (anywhere in the text area).
That works fine for documents which do not have spaces in their name e.g.:
C:\igdata_sets\web\rimg0011.jpg
This file is on your computer, so try copying the above line into your memo and test with that.

It does NOT work when a filename or path has spaces e.g.
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\....blah blah
Space after documents etc
Solution is simple
Highlight the full document name as you would in WORD (click at the beginning of the text and drag)
Once you've got the full document path and filename highlighted, right click on the highlighted text
Your document will be displayed.

This works for WORD, pdf, images - anything that can be displayed in a browser.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:52:18 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
George, although we don't use this feature as a matter of course in our particular circumstances, I will try to set something up for test purposes.

We're getting very busy with Christmas labels orders at the moment, so will look for a quieter time to do it.  ;)

In the meantime, I hope that Toby (and others) will do some testing for you and give you the valuable feedback you would like.

Laurie.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
George:

I am working with my own GA007 ARTICLES now. I have done the steps as outlined in Tutorial 63, and am now ?stuck? completing those as shown in Tutorial 64. I have completed step #4 with the single LEFT click and 2 RIGHT clicks in the middle of the name of the Document and have turned my Internet Explorer on. I am at a screen now that at the very top reads: SETTINGS\LAWRENCE\MY (which is me), the rest of the screen copy reads: ?Navigation To The Webpage Was Cancelled, What You Can Try, Refresh the Page?. Step #5 (GA100S34) indicates my document should be displayed in a special browser. I am not getting that. I know that the location is correct for the page(s) that I have scanned because I have opened them.

Where have I gone wrong?

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »
RE:
and have turned my Internet Explorer on
You dont need to do that.
The program has its own browser.

RE:
I am at a screen now that at the very top reads: SETTINGS\LAWRENCE\MY
Theres one part of the instruction in the "Challenge" I set down for today which (I think) applies, and is the reason you are not able to open the document.
Heres the bit you need to understand (same goes for all members, of course)
It does NOT work when a filename or path has spaces e.g.
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\....blah blah
Space after documents etc
Solution is simple
Highlight the full document name as you would in WORD (click at the beginning of the text and drag)
Once you've got the full document path and filename highlighted, right click on the highlighted text
Your document will be displayed.

Since you say the page has this at the top:
SETTINGS\LAWRENCE\MY
you have only captured part of the file name.
You need to highlight the whole text - Fiolder name and File name.
Then right click

Does that help?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »
George:

HIP, HIP, HOORAY, which means, it sure did take care of the problem. I can view all four pages, although I scanned one of them upside down, so I had to stand on my head for awhile to read it. The pages were nice and sharp and clear and included color photos.

I scanned the 4-page article to PDF, but when I get further along with Omnipage 16 OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software, I think it will handle exporting HTML. At least when I did a search in the Omnipage 16 Help Index, HTML came up seven times, but first things first. Oh, if I was using Omnipage 16 I could give that upside-down page a 180 degree flip and not stand on my head.

- Toby 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »
Yippeeeeee indeed!
Well, you are the first to finish that challenge, Toby!

RE:
so I had to stand on my head for awhile to read it.
Was it an article from an Australian magazine? <tee heeee>

OK, Toby has worked his way through that Challenge. Any other contenders?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »
NO - - -  South Pole, they grow beautiful Tuberous Begonias down there, and they don't have to replant them because they last indefintely after the first year (the first year is the toughest for survival).  (Tee Hee to you, too!)

What do you mean I finished  IT, I haven't even SEEN the first CHALLENGE. I think I got cheated.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
You finished todays challenge , Toby. We'll keep this topic to talk about all things you can do with the Articles program.

Ready for another?
Articles Program GA007 - Challenge No 2

Heres part of the instructions in a previous posting.
First, you create Topics by running the program Topics for articles -GA021 under the File tab on the menu
Add a new topic
Then add a few sub topics for that topic (You must have sub topics for this to work)

Once you have created a few topics, start GA007.
Find an article youve created previously.
Double click and you get to screen GA007S02
You'll see 3 panes.
The one we are focusing on is on the right Categories or Topics in this article.
Click Work with this list under the pane
Screen GA007S06 appears

Click on the pop-up, top left corner of the screen and select the new topic you added in GA021 above
The sub topics appear in the list with the caption Select from this list on the left.
Double click on one of the sub topics.
Note how it now appears in the list with the caption : Selected for this article
Repeat this as necessary if you wish to "file" this article under any other topics.
There is no limit!
Click Done
Screen GA007S02 reappears
Note how your "filing" Topics are listed in the Categories or Topics in this article list

Click Done

Initial screen re-appears.

Now to "retrieve" our document from our "filing system"
Click Go button
Your document appears in the list along with other in the same Topic.

If you build up a large list of items:
Click the Sub Topic pop-up and select your new Sub Topic
Click Go button

Let me know how you get on folk

Offline bossgard

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
ARTICLES CHALLENGE #2 Progress Update:

I have had no unusual problems doing this challenge, so it looks like everything is a GO with the test run. My computer is fine, the operator (me) is still in awe trying to absorb all that was accomplished, and is now thinking of ways to use the new found skills here on the local scene.

At this time, I have one article in MAGAZINE and another in OTHER that I can view.  I plan on repeating Challenges #1 and #2 to bring an article into BOOK, but give it a different twist by typing it into WORD (It is just a one short paragraph) and saving it as an HTML document (I believe I have that correct). Is it OK that I proceed with this step?

Also, several of the Gardening magazines that I subscribe to, offer what they call ?Web Extras?, usually in the form of short demonstration videos (How to use a bulb augur) or slideshows (Photos showing plantings at a home?s front door, porch, steps, walkways, etc) which would be nice to include in ARTICLES. Will there be a CHALLENGE pertaining to this?

I would encourage others to take these CHALLENGES, these are great skills to have, and they are certainly solving a major problem for me.

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
ARTICLES CHALLENGE #2 Progress Update:
I would encourage others to take these CHALLENGES, these are great skills to have, and they are certainly solving a major problem for me.

- Toby
Good advice Toby, and I'm glad to see you're having great success (George will be pleased  ;) )

I am closely following this thread and will get round to trying it out eventually.  We're currently busy with our other 'commercial enterprise' at the moment - i.e. our Address Labels business.  You can follow this at the thread George started off today - Roseberry Labels

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:21 PM »
Yes, I'm proud of you Toby.

RE:
give it a different twist by typing it into WORD (It is just a one short paragraph) and saving it as an HTML document (I believe I have that correct). Is it OK that I proceed with this step?
Whatever you prefer Toby.
It will work with both WORD and an HTML page

RE:
Also, several of the Gardening magazines that I subscribe to, offer what they call ?Web Extras?, usually in the form of short demonstration videos (How to use a bulb augur) or slideshows
Ive never tried that - until just there now!
It worked for a .MOV file. I inserted the path and file name in exactly the same way as a WORD document or image.
It opened up Quicktime to play the video.
Give it a go Toby, and other members please. If it doesn't play your video files let me know.

Put a link to "Web Extras" page here Toby. I'd love to see that.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
George:

I?m taking your response to my questions as to go ahead and take free flight on my own and see where I land with ARTICLES.

At this moment in time the ?Web Extra? is over my head, but, we will see what happens.
First things, first.

I don?t know if this is the right Topic to ask this question, but will you or Laurie please tell me how to create the ?my direct quote? boxes and post them on the Forum as you both did on your last postings. When I first joined the Forum you had given somebody the instructions to do this, will you please repeat them.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 07:55:43 PM »
RE:
but will you or Laurie please tell me how to create the ?my direct quote? boxes

Copy a block of text
Click the Insert Quote icon (2nd from right in the list of icons above)
Click paste
That inserts your text between a begin quote and an end quote "mark up" symbols

Alternatively
Hightlight a block of text
Click the Insert Quote icon
Its much the same as highlighting a block of text and clicking Bold

Offline bossgard

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »
George and Others:

You asked for links to gardening magazines that offer internet information via videos and photo slide shows.

The first one is my favorite, if I had only one choice for a gardening magazine, it would be this one. Click on the ?Web Extras? button at the top right. There is a lot of information on this site, and the magazine(s) is loaded with good stuff, I try to read it from cover to cover:

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/

This is the American Horticulture Society:

http://www.ahs.org/

This is the Horticulture Magazine, not to be confused with AHS. If you remember Isabel and your conversations with her, this is the magazine that offers the DVD of past 10 years of publication, which I have:

http://www.hortmag.com/GeneralMenu/

I purchased a CD (which is no longer available) from Purdue University on Propagation which has been helpful. All of these I would like to add to my Ideas Genie Pro 5 ARTICLES, which shows Videos, like ?How to take a Cutting?.

And finally, the American Begonia Society offers 3 DVD?s of their past issues of ?The Begonian? which I have hopes of purchasing. My membership to them is in the works now.

It is a beautiful day and I have Tulips to get into the ground.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
Have you managed to download any of those videos Toby?

Offline bossgard

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »
George:

Are you talking about in ARTICLES and playing them there? If so, no I have not. Will try ASAP. It?s been such a beautiful day did not want to miss gardening outside. ?Make Hay When the Sun Shines?.

Question when using ARTICLES: Example; I have been working with tulips all day, and I know I have an article in ARTICLES relating to planting tulips in pots, is there anything in GA022 or a similar screen, that would indicate that there are articles on tulips (Bulbs) in ARTICLES. Something like ?has photos? or do I go through ?retrieve? to check on articles relating to tulips, and find the article I?m looking for that way?

Thanks!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
George:

Yippeeeee (I guess!!)

I don?t know if this is the correct way in ARTICLES to play videos in ARTICLES, but it worked. I copied the Golden Gate Magazine URL to notepad, opened ARTICLES, worked by way to GA007S11. When I tried to paste the URL it came up in the Google area. I clicked the Google button, it brought up Golden Gate into its search, clicked on it, Golden Gate?s home page opened up, clicked on Web Extras, clicked on the video to play and watched the video on GAS100S35 sound and all (or a number similar, I?m not sure if I wrote this down correctly).

- Toby