Author Topic: Using IG for Annuals and Bedding plants  (Read 5661 times)

Offline brian535

Using IG for Annuals and Bedding plants
« on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
What is the best way to use IG to keep records of these plants? I want a permanent record of each annual we grow mainly to help decide which ones to grow in later years. So in addition to variety and supplier I would record date sown, how many germinated and how easily, what sort of display they produced and how long etc and of course a picture - essentially how easy  they were and how good they were.

Seems to me tying to the "real" garden area in which they were grown is not the best option as they would be removed/changed each year so I am thinking of a "virtual" area for annuals or possibly 2 areas - current year and all past years. Any comments or better methods?

And would using the "specimen" function be the best way of recording the information for each variety or simply use the plant profile screen.

Thanks in advance

Brian Miller
Peterborough, UK

Offline bossgard

Re: Using IG for Annuals and Bedding plants
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
Brian:

Try this to see if it will help you. 

When I purchased Genie Pro, I was in a complete turmoil as to how I was going to accomplish my mission, which was to redesign the ?landscaping? around my residence. I have a little bit less that one acre. I?m retired, and that has been my life?s work from this point on.

I approached it this way, I have three main gardens, I grow quite a few Tuberous Begonias, so at the moment that garden area is called ?Begonia Patch?, I have a vegetable garden, and that area is called ?Vegetable Garden?, and the third is called the ?Toby Garden? which is every thing left. Although I do have specific bed names in mind for those three gardens, temporarily to get started, all the beds I labeled ?Propagation? because that is exactly what they are at this moment in time, areas to try plants, see how they grow, experiment, etc.

Now, you can start adding all your plant data, even if those ?specimens? are a package of seed, something in a magazine or another garden that you saw that you want to try, or an actual plant stuck in the earth to hold or to grow. Once you have your ?temporary? Gardens and Beds, which you can change the names of at anytime, you are on your way.

It all comes together, when you start LINKING A PLANT TO A GARDEN AREA. It is working for me and allows me to enter the data and retrieve it right now.

(I hope George is reading this, and corrects anything if I am giving you as mis-information, I?m still pretty new at all of this, too.)

What is amazing about Genie, is that IdeasGuy George hasn?t left anything out of the software that I know of. I?m far enough along (only a year) and am constantly amazed how everything you enter as text or as photo, is retained from you original entry work to print out individual plant reports, photos, etc. It?s all there, you will see as you go along that it?s an amazing piece of software.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
Hello Brian, and thank you for taking the plunge - posting your first topic!

I'm going to enjoy this one. It will allow us to explore a whole bunch of features.
We can take it all one step at a time. Perhaps other members will join in the things I'm about to explain, and we will all enjoy the exercises.

Thanks Toby for explaining your method. A question to you Toby. Do you have one Gardener profile and three garden areas in that one garden:
Garden Area 1= Begonia Patch
Garden Area 2= Vegetable garden
Garden Area 2= Toby Garden
Is that your set up?
That is absolutely fine.

Back to Brian.
First, to record your records, I would recommend you create a Specimen profile for each item.
If you buy a plant, thats a specimen. If you grow a batch of plants from seed, they are also specimens.
You can have any number of specimens for any one Plant Profile. Thus, they all share the same Plant Profile information.
However, each Specimen has its own exclusive data set, to record the "detailed" things Brian has mentioned.

I will explain how Events work with your specimen profiles, to do exactly what you have described.

Events
First, we need to have look at whats set up in our plant care definitions.
Click Files tab on Menu and start GA011
You'll see some items listed. One is Sow.
Double click on Sow
Screen GA011S02 appears.
Note that the "Done" description is Sowed.
When youve "done" something, that is an "Event" in IG terminology.
For your situation, lets add a new Profile
Get back to initial screen (GA011S01)
Click Add new Topic
In screen GA011S02, enter Germinate in To do description and Germinated in Done Description.
Leave Trigger Pot History unchecked (thats for Bonsai Genie users)
Click the Add button to save your changes

Now lets work with GA029.
Now, GA029 is a bit scary to begin with, because its gone through a lot of development as I worked with it. What starts of as a simple screen can get cluttered with extra options, so someone coming in on the finished article will find it a bit off-putting.
Just take the straight and narrow to begin with, and like me, you will gradually start looking for more. As I used it, I was able to add those little enhancements and now you have a program packed with "bells and whistles".

First, locate a plant in your database, using the Search options, bottom Left of screen.
In the list of plants, click to select the plant you wish to work with.
Now click the Add a Specimen button
Screen GA100S23 appears
First decision. Is this Specimen profile to be treated as a Batch of plants?
Heres the rules:
Leave the Batch Reference blank if its a single specimen.
You can also leave the Batch Reference blank if the specimen record is for a number of plants, or a batch of seedlings.
So when should you enter something in the Batch Reference field?
Simple. If somewhere along the growing process you wish to SPLIT a batch, then you should enter a Batch Reference.
When you enter a Batch Reference, you create a different type of Specimen Record, with additional options.

To begin with, lets keep it simple. I'd recommend you leave the Batch Reference blank, even for a tray of seed, or seedlings . You can change it to a batch later if you wish.

Enter as much info as you like. In the example youve given, enter Supplier info.
Select a Gardener and Garden Area (this can be change later)
Click Add
The initial screen GA029S01 re-appears.
With the same plant selected, click the This Plant button,under the heading Specimens in this Garden
Your specimen will be listed.
Note that its spread over two lines.
The first line is the PLANT name
The second line is the SPECIMEN name
Now to add some Events
Double click the line with the Specimen name
Screen GA100S23 appears
Click Specimen Events button
Click Add an event button
Screen GA100S26 appears
Click the Events pop-up
You'll see Sowed and Germinated (as added in GA011)
Select Sowed
Use the Calendar control to select the date the seed were Sowed
In the Notes about this event, type in anyting you like.
Click Add
Screen GA100S23 re-appears

You can repeat the above to add another event for "Germinated"

Note:
View a list of specimens in the initial screen GA029S01
By default settings, note how the LAST event for that specimen is appended to the specimen data on the line.

End of lesson for tonight
Next:
We'll discuss the numerous options to deal with the plants list in your garden areas "Year on Year".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:05:01 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:44:51 PM »
Thanks, for coming in, George. I didn?t want Brian to dangle out there too long, without any recognition. I wasn?t too sure what Genie software he is using, but I?m assuming it is Ideas Genie.

To answer your question to me, the answer is yes, one gardener profile, three gardener areas, each with a propagation bed.

It will be fun to follow yours and Brian?s discussion on this topic. One thing, Brian, don?t hesitate to ask any kind of question on the Forum, because all the Members are very polite and courteous, and George, himself, treats everybody just great! I know, I?ve been there!

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »
Yes Brian upgraded recently from an IG 2004 and now has Ideas Genie 5, and that version now has Specimens (GA029) and another program which may enter the discussion - Tasks GA047.

The Tasks program was completely re-written Brian. It used to be GA012. It was re-written to work with the new concept "Events", first introduced in IG Pro.
When you plan a Task for a Specimen, then do the task and record that its finished in GA047, that also creates an Event automatically.

At any time, the Task status details and the Event details can also be seen in GA029.
Thus, the Print buttons in GA047 and GA029 will give you info which is useful to take to the greenhouse for reference.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:26:28 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 04:11:37 AM »
I have not been into GA027 or GA047 other than to snoop around a little bit. Looks very interesting, I could have used them earlier in the growing season, though. If the rain continues as it has been, then I will have plenty of time that I can use for key stroking.

I assume that the programs are the same in my Genie Pro as they are in Brian's Ideas Genie 5?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »
RE: (Toby)
I assume that the programs are the same in my Genie Pro as they are in Brian's Ideas Genie 5?
They are identical.
Ideas Genie Pro has a "few" extra programs, as you know. e.g. GA032 - Reviews (with the much discussed Web Page Generator), GA049 - Print Photos, etc

I suspect that (as you have commented) theres a few programs that our users havent explored fully.
I had planned a set of "Lessons" (should these be challenges?) to set over last winter, but I got caught up in developing. In fact, Ideas Genie 5 was a spin-off of that development, elevating it to "Works with Vista" standard.
When we get Brians questions answered, I'll start a new topic for the Lessons. It will be based on tracking our seeds - purchasiing, sowing, right through to planting
It will involve getting hands on to a range of programs, (in particular, Catalogs - GA040, Tasks - GA047 and Specimens- GA029), with practical applications for many of the features.
Fun for all over the dark winter months.

As you may have read from the "News" at the top of the forum, I've got my Bank Genie hat on this week. Making good progress, in liason with Barry.

Offline brian535

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
Thank you all for such prompt and detailed replies. I wll now be silent for a time while I absorb the info and try it out!
And of course there's the garden to attend to -  leaves need clearing up - a task I don't need a reminder for!

Brian

Offline bossgard

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
Brian: I would say, forget anything I suggested in my posting, and do as George requests of you. By doing that, you will make your goals. I wish you all the luck in you so doing. I will continue to watch the Topic.

George: Will eagerly await your CHALLENGES, and until then, I will prepare myself at this end by gathering all of my gardening information together, so that at least I can find something when I need it for the CHALLENGES. What a job that is going to be!

- Toby

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »
Don't forget guys........ there could be some Gold Stars twinkling around waiting to land on some lucky person who completes all the challenges that George sets.  Now there's an incentive for you.  ;D

For the benefit of Brian, who is new to the Forum, I award Gold Stars to our members who excel in a particular contribution to the activities on the Forum.  For example, posting Tutorials on certain aspects of gardening for other members to follow if they so wish.  Eric ("Palustris" on the Forum) has recently received Gold Stars for his tutorials on constructing Alpine Houses.  Also, participating in George's challenges and experimenting with otherwise untried features of his programs, e.g. doing a web set, or Web Page Generation (WPG) of their gardens to upload to the Internet for all our members (and other web surfers) to share.

It's all just a bit of fun really.  It's not a competition, so we're not trying to outdo the efforts of other members.  It's an idea I had to just acknowledge our members' efforts to keep the 'Community Spirit' of the Forum alive, and at the same time to promote a greater friendship between us all, and at the same time to learn from each other.

Having said that, the Gold Stars don't come cheaply and are not given out like confetti - you have to earn them.  ;)
(And I don't award them to myself - that would be a little bit unfair.  ::) )

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here Brian and 'jump in' whenever you feel like it.  ;D

Back to George to be as devious as he chooses.  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:25:39 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline brian535

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
I have now worked through George's lesson on Specimens by entering the Sweet peas we sowed in greenhouse on 3 November. Hope to record their germination shortly!

Am I right to think that we should make most plants in our garden 'specimens' so that care tasks we record as completed are also automatically recorded as done in that plant's 'specimen' record? E.g. Our 3 cornus bushes (different cultivars) each have the care task 'prune' for March which will be picked up by GA007 but unless we make them specimens the completion of that task won't be recored on their profiles??

Brian

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »
Yes, Brian, I'd recommend you set your Cornus cultivars up as specimens.

RE:
...which will be picked up by GA007
Do you mean Tasks GA047?
If yes, then that is correct.

If yes, and you are setting up tasks, I'd recommend you use the Plant related tasks option for tasks you know you have to do.

There are 3 methods of entering tasks.
The Generate care tasks option will find plenty of things for you to do!

NOTE:
Tasks can be scheduled and completed for non-specimens. In that case, no Event records are generated, since Events are only possible with Specimens.

I'd advise you to play with GA047 and GA029 and see how it all works.
In GA047, you can change completion dates, reverse finished status etc, etc, so get used to it now so you are au-fait with the features.
Incidentally, the GA047/GA029 programs took a lot of planning and develpment. Nice to see its being used!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:53:33 PM »
I have been able to sit at my computer today, and take a few minutes to just play around with Genie Pro. I am amazed at the number of programs and screens that I HAVE NOT seen before. When you first start using a piece of software, you?re so engrossed with trying to figure out what you are supposed to be doing with it, and the immediate things that you want to accomplish, that you can?t comprehend all that is there!

Bring on the CHALLENGES, George, when you are able! I?m sure they will be fun, and particularly for me, very educational.

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:17:37 AM »
Yes, theres plenty of fun packed into the Genie stuff, Toby. I can tell by the forum postings that theres quite a lot of secrets to be unveiled, after the Bank Genie development.  I'm also doing a bit of DIY this past while. New kitchen bench top, and tiling the kitchen. Jack of all trades and master of none, but I like to give it a go. Not as fast as the pro's, mind you  ;D