Author Topic: Growing Clematis from seed  (Read 4519 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Growing Clematis from seed
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
In my early days of gardening, I sowed a tray of Large Flowered Clematis from seed supplied by Chiltern Seeds.
They didn't germinate.

Eric posted a link to the British Clematis Society website in another thread, so Ive carried the discussion over here to allow Eric's topic to get back on topic.
From the web site, Ive found this web page:
http://britishclematis.org.uk/seed.htm

I note that it can take 3 years for large flowered varieties to germinate, so that explains my "failure".
Have you tried growing Clematis from seed? Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline Palustris

Re: Growing Clematis from seed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »
I have done it with some success. but remember that hybrids do not come true from seed.
The seed needs to be fresh. Like almost al members of the genus, the seeds have a limited lifespan. Viable seed is plump, nonviable is flat and papery. Nip off the tail, it can rot and damage the seeds. Sow if possible with the seed on edge about 1/4 of an inch below the surface of ordinary seed sowing compost. Cover with grit or whatever you prefer and leave exposed to the weather. Germiination is usally in spring. Do not be in too big a hurry to prick out., let the seedlings get a reasonably root system first.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:35 PM »
We tried with some success, it took a year for the viticella seeds to germinate, and then another two years for them to flower.
I think the critical stage is as Palustris mentioned, the first transplanting. We still have one in the garden we kept, the others we sold. :)

Some years ago we visited Mike Browns garden, a BCS member. He sorts all the seed sent in, and packets them for sale, a mammoth job, I have a picture of the room which is set aside for the seed sorting.

Can we post pictures here, if so what is max file size?

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
Go ahead, Malcolm. The max file size is 125 kb per posting. That can be 1 image, 2 x 62 kb, etc per posting
Is there a link to Mike Browns garden? Any photos of his garden?
Seems like you have a wonderful and diverse collection of photos! You've put that kit to good use  :)

RE (from Eric) 
but remember that hybrids do not come true from seed
For me, that would be a great incentive, having the chance to discover a unique plant.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »
Mike is a collector of Clematis, and when we were there a lot are displayed in their pots.
So I don't have any pics of the 'Garden'

Attached s a picture of the 'sorting room' note the packets of seeds in the foreground.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »
The man needs one of our Gold Medals!! I hope the people who receive seed from him are appreciative. Such dedication and patience.