Author Topic: Alpine Plants on Mt. Rainier  (Read 2721 times)

Offline bossgard

Alpine Plants on Mt. Rainier
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »
Short time ago, I posted a tale on the Forum about my hiking buddy and I getting ?snowed off? Mt. Rainier (Cascade Mt. Range, State of WA, USA). I can?t fine the topic now, so I will post this here. We had planned the trip to take photos of the Alpine Meadows on Rainier.

This is kind of a footnote to that adventure:

In today?s issue of the Seattle Times Newspaper (10/10/08) is a feature story about that area regarding a dedication of a new Visitor Center, we were in the old Visitor Center when it started snowing.

With the article was a large photo of newly made steps for the public to walk up to the trail we would hake hiked. This is what is inscribed on the front of the steps in three lines: ?. . . the most luxuriant and the most extravagantly beautiful of all the alpine gardens I ever beheld in all my mountain-top wanderings.? ? John Muir, conservationist, 1889?.

There is an extra feature on the site that wasn?t at the old building; they are creating an outdoor plaza, landscaped with NATIVE PLANTS. Undoubtedly, they will be labeled with identification, so maybe a WGP might result. Should I follow through?

- Toby

Offline Palustris

Re: Alpine Plants on Mt. Rainier
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
Yes please, oh definitely YES PLEASE!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
Short time ago, I posted a tale on the Forum about my hiking buddy and I getting 'snowed off' Mt. Rainier (Cascade Mt. Range, State of WA, USA). I can't fine the topic now, so I will post this here. We had planned the trip to take photos of the Alpine Meadows on Rainier.

Toby, here is where you mentioned your expedition - (but it's fine here for now) -

http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,741.0.html

I have to agree with Eric here.

Alpines are the 'flavour of the month' at the moment, very popular and creating a lot of debate on the Forum.

Go for it Toby.  ;D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:37:40 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »
Looks like a GO on this one. Eric, may I ask you to help me with this overall project and you take the role of TOP CONSULTANT. Kathy and Laurie, and George, and other Members of the Forum, please join in.

Back to the TOP CONSULTANT: Eric, would you please give me a short project plan summary telling me what you as an individual would like to have when we get to the finish of ?Alpine Plants of Mt. Rainier? WGP. The best way to start all of this is to make sure that we are all on the same page to begin.

I think we all expect Plant and Garden Photos, either taken on site, or perhaps from other sources. We all will expect Plant Data as accurate as possible. Are there certain things that are different when doing a project with Alpine Plants than, perhaps, the plants outside my own back-door? My knowledge of Alpine Plants is very limited.

Since I have been busy with my own WGP project, I?ve had very little time to read Eric?s and other?s postings on this subject, and will do this ASAP, and I?m sure there is lots of information on the Internet. Some good research Sites anybody, let me know!

- Toby

P.S. My hiking buddy is very excited over this whole project. His feeling is ?I sure love MY Mountain!? He knows it well, and has been military trained in survival on it. I trust him completely.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Now you are asking! To be honest I know very little about the plants of Mt. Rainier, which is why I would love to see a piece on them. As said accurate naming is probably the most important thing (not always easy as Botanists do not always agree!). From a gardeners point of view the type of soil and aspect is helpful. IE Is the plant in full sun, part shade, shade. How much water does it get? Is the water in the form of rain or snow melt? Is the environment variable? For example, (To use one I know about) Narcissus grow best in areas where they get large amounts of water in later winter early spring, but which dries out completely in Summer. Some plants are always found on south facing areas, others in different aspects.
Not sure what else one needs to know.  I suppose it would be helpful to find out what information Botanist look for when they collect samples for Kew and other places which keep records like that.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Just had a search through my books and I have at least 2 which deal with the Western mountain regions of America. One by Lewis J Clark looks very useful.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »
Toby sent me an email with this link:
http://www.flowersofrainier.com/Main%20Menu/homepagewithtext.htm

It covers just about everything anyone would want to know about Alpine Flowers on Mt. Rainier.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »
I once followed the Herbarium and National Park team to check on the forested area around
our reservoir.   This field trips are done several times a year, either in Singapore or neighbouring countries.

We are  checking on the health of the trees that are growing within the specified
area.   Most exciting part will be discovering a new specie.  We will collect the
specimen and bring back to the Herbarium to identify.  We will search thru other
Herbarium such as Edinburgh or Kew or others...