Author Topic: Choosing trees  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Palustris

Choosing trees
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
Our Garden Vouchers arrived this morning so we spent a very happy few hours at the Dingle Nursery in Welshpool looking at their trees and shrubs. Dozens we would like, but so many of them say the dreaded words 'Needs a sheltered site' or worse still 'Protect from late frosts'. Still we did find a dozen or so, now we have to whittle it down. even in this garden we are running out of room for trees!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Choosing trees
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »
I'd love to know what you finally select, Eric!
Are they fruit trees and shrubs?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »
No more fruit trees. Ornamentals and shrubs. Things we would not have been able to buy before. Cornus contraversa variegata type thing at 68 quid

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »
68 quid
Ouch!!

Your garden has the proportions for ornamentals, Eric. Take your time in making the decisions.

Do you have Amelanchier canadensis? Mine is looking lovely at present. Dark shiny red berries, and the foliage going red. Lovely in autumn, and of course, it gets its common name Snowy Mespilus, June Berry due to its masses of white flowers in June.

How about Eucryphia?

Japanese maples???

If you browse the Master Database, you might find the names of interesting cultivars of plants in genera of interest.

Offline Lynda A

• My website
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »
Hi, Interesting to see you went to  The Dingle  Nursery.   know it well.  They have done an amazing job with what was an old Quarry.  I used to take the children around their garden years ago.  Have bought loads of stuff from them.  Do you live locally to it?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »
G. Eucryphia will not survive here sadly. Nor do Japanese maples, tried them. In fact many of the most decorative trees will not grow here, we are too cold and too windy for many of them. We have tried before. That is why we are researching very carefullt.
Linda, the Dingle is about 17 miles away.
We will also look at Morrey's in Kelsall in cheshire also about 20 miles from us. We did look at Bridgemere today, but their prices and selection were not good.