Author Topic: A small apple problem  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Palustris

A small apple problem
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »

There are two wheelbarrows full outside as well and the drawers are also full as are the freezers with puree and juice. Better than not enough though  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A small apple problem
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »
Its apparent youve had an appsolutely fantastic crop, Eric.
Those bees sure were busy!

How do you store them? How long do they keep for?

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
How long did it take you to think those up George?

I have to approve of those very appropriate terms you applied here.  ;D

Eric, you're just going to have to hold a fruit sale in your garden and sell them off to your neighbours and other visitors.

Laurie.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
I wouldn't give our neighbours the time of day and passers-by are very few and far between and usually going too fast.
The apples will keep reasonably until after Christmas and as I drink the juice we will crush more of them.
The birds love them, especially the blackbirds and fieldfares, so any going off ones are cut up and left for the feathereds.
Very few go to waste.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
Interesting! Particularly since I have a massive crop this year - eaters and cookers.
Ive never managed to keep them too well - I probably can manage the Bramleys Christmas, but I hear of some folk who claim they can keep them until spring.
Eaters seem to go soft within a few weeks.

How do you make that juice? That sounds like a good way to use a box or two up  :)
Can you use Bramleys for juice?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 05:00:09 PM »
We have a Magimix Juicer. A mixture of cookers and eaters together gives a nice taste (to me anyway) Bramley and Cox (1/3 to2/3) is a nice not too sweet not too tart drink. It freezes well too and keeps its taste even after 12 months.
Puree is dead easy, peel and core and cook with hardly any water over a low heat until soft, allow to cool and then freeze. This we use either in cakes as sweetener so can reduce the sugar content, or I put some in a bowl in the microwave, warm it up and eat with Soya Cream. Those who can take dairy produce say it is even better with Yogurt!
Keeping depends on the temperature, they last longer in a cold winter than they do in a warm one. Most eaters go soggy very quickly, but Ashmead and Court Pendu Plat are supposed to last until Christmas. We shall see.