Author Topic: WORKING WITH THE HOME PAGE ON MY WEBSITE  (Read 3543 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
WORKING WITH THE HOME PAGE ON MY WEBSITE
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
The following is the exchange of emails between myself and Toby (bossgard)
I've posted here, as its quite a good FAQ topic, of general interest, and to explain some things which may need further clarification.

Toby to George
My next project for my website will be to work on the Home Page. Even though I know that George is looking over my shoulder every minute, I would like to accomplish this as much as I can by myself, by using the Tutorials, Help Buttons, etc.

I have most of the  requisites and will complete all of them,  but I think I should start with GA005-6(6), then to GA005-7(7), GA005-8(25), check in with GA196 (which went smoothly for me last time I used it), and then to GA032 and follow step 3 and then finally the FTP procedure.

George to Toby
I'm assuming you mean Introduction page when you write Home Page?

If yes, you dont need to do that to link a photo to your intro page.
Its much easier than that.
In GA032S04, You just click step 3
Click the thumbnails button
Click Make a new thumbnail
Then select a photo from anywhere on your computer.

In this option (step 3) the photo can be any photo. It does not have
to be linked to a plant, or a garden area. Even if it is, it doesnt
matter, of course.

Another tip:
I prefer to use GA030 for all my photo linking Toby.
(both Plant photos AND Garden Area photos)
When you use GA030, you dont even need to use GA196. When you select a
new folder, or a photo in a new folder, the program creates a new path
automatically. This does exactly what you would do in GA196
Give it a try and let me know how you get on with GA030

Toby to George
Yes, I mean the Introduction Page. I guess I called it the Home Page, because basically that's what is normally on them, or maybe it is a term we use here in the US for the same thing as the Intro Page.
The thing is I haven't even taken the picture yet, and the garden area still has to be defined, but I wanted to connect the photo to a garden area so that I could associate it with that area.
My question: How can I select a photo that is on my computer if I don't know where it is at? Actually I do know where it will be at, it will be in a Kodak album. Don't I have to create a path to be able to work with it in Pro? Don't I have to get it to GA030? If I click on the thumbnails now, the photo isn't there, how do I get it there?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:46:55 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: WORKING WITH THE HOME PAGE ON MY WEBSITE
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
First, a definition:
A path defines the ?route? to the location of a folder (also known as a directory) on your computer. A path starts with a drive letter with a colon and backslash. E.g. c:\
This is followed by the top level folder and followed again by the subfolder(s) chain which takes you to the folder defined by the path. Each subfolder is separated by a backslash.
Heres an example of a path to the folder myWebSite:
c:\igdata_sets\web\myWebSite\

RE:
Don't I have to create a path to be able to work with it in Pro?

YES in the case of all programs except GA032
Paths are used by the programs which link Plants to photos and Garden areas to photos e.g. GA030, GA005, GA004, GA037 etc..
You can use GA196 to work with paths (add, edit, delete).
Paths are automatically created when you use the programs above

YES and NO in GA032.
There are 4 distinct processes in GA032 to allow you to generate web pages with photos.
Heres the Yes/No rules for each of the 4 processes

1. Selecting photos for your Review Plant List (GA032S04 - Step 5)
YES
Photo(s) must be previously linked to the plant before they can be used in GA032S08.
Use GA030, GA004, GA037 etc

2. Selecting Garden Photos (also GA032S04 - Step 5 ? use the More button, visible after you have linked at least one photo to a plant)
YES
Photo(s) must be previously linked to the Garden Area before they can be used in GA032S08.
Use GA030 or GA005

3. Selecting OTHER Photos (also GA032S04 - Step 5 ? use the More button, visible after you have linked at least one photo to a plant)
NO
You select a photo from any folder on your computer, using a standard Windows dialog screen.
The photo does NOT NEED to have been linked to a plant or a Garden Area. You can use a linked plant if you wish, of course

4. Selecting photos for your Introduction page (GA032S04 - Step 3)
NO
Currently, you can have only one photo on the Introduction page
You select a photo from any folder on your computer, using a standard Windows dialog screen.
The photo does NOT NEED to have been linked to a plant or a Garden Area. You can use a linked plant if you wish, of course, but in Step 3 you have to manually locate it using the Windows dialog screens.

RE:
How can I select a photo that is on my computer if I don't know where it is at? Actually I do know where it will be at, it will be in a Kodak album.
Don't I have to get it to GA030?
If I click on the thumbnails now, the photo isn't there, how do I get it there?
Does the above clarify things?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:52:06 PM by ideasguy »

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
George:

At my first reading, I would say it's way over my head. But as you well know, I enjoy challenges. So let me roll with it, I know you are there for me.

My schedule for today is pretty tight, but WE (you and me and others) will get my Introduction Page accomplished, but no promises on how soon.

Thanks again,

- Toby

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 05:05:23 PM »
Since youve published your web site with photos, youve already mastered the process (1) Toby
Go back into Step 5, click one of thie plants in your list.
Since youve already created and linked the plant to a web photo, then the More button will appear
Click More and you'll see the additional buttons which would allow you to do (2) and (3) above

However, in your case you want to do the Introduction page, so go straight to (4)