Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 4585 times)

Offline JeanV

Acorns
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »
I am not sure whether this truly counts as a gardening question but this year in Mid Wales we have had a VERY wet summer, I know all over UK it has been wet but trust me here when we say VERY wet we mean it. The strangest plants have done well in the late sunshine of Septmember : Penstemons have bloomed all summer but the most amazing success has been the large oak tree which produced so many acorns the grass is covered with them. Is this to do with the extra rain?

Hope I have done this right!

Jean Vann LLandrindod Wells

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Acorns
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »
Hi Jean

Its very nice to see you here again!

I have a feeling your weather has been much the same as us in that green isle just across the Irish sea from you.

I cant comment about Oak trees. Perhaps some other members can.

However, my observations are exactly the same as yours with Penstemons. They did very well indeed, and are still going!

Footnote:
Now youve started this topic Jean, it might be a good idea to encourage other members to add their comments.
To keep this topic focused on acorns, Ive started a new topic.
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,792.msg3929/topicseen.html#msg3929
Skip over there and tell us about any other plants which performed well in the unusually wet summer.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:55:18 PM by ideasguy »

Offline 3fren

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
In our hot weather in Singapore, during months of June, July, August, we get temperature of
high 35 deg in the day and night about 28 deg C.

No rain for about a month.  When the shower do come after the hot spell, wow, lo and behold,
All the roads in Singapore will be ablaze with various types of flowers on the trees.(they are
not local habitat - Our N Park has done a great job.

My favorite past time is to collect seeds of  Terminalias and Shoreas - they have wing seeds and
flutter in the winds and the whole floor will be covered with them.

Another favorite will be the Angsana, they grew to about 20 m height. The flowers will last
only about 2 to 3 days. and when there is a light breeze, I would stand below the trees and
let the flowers and smell caress me.. just need to close my eyes and experience the serenity and
love.  (George.. I promise to post some pictures..need time (a scarcity) to experiment.  :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Hi Jessie
Its really nice to hear from you again

I have said this before and its worth repeating - your translations to English always convey sincere warmth and beauty.
Have you ever tried writing poetry? Your postings are poetry to me :)

I can already picture you standing below those trees as the flowers fall.
If you do manage a photo or two, please get in the frame!

Nice to learn how your N Park are experimenting with plants from other habitats. Again, I hope you get a chance to post a photo.
Those day time temperatures with no rain would mean they would have to be very careful which plants they choose, to give them a chance of survival.

Take lots of photos Jessie and save them for a period when you are not so busy and travelling.
How did your recent trips go? I'm sure you have some exciting tales.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Thanks Geoge,

for keeping me going (take my mind of work !) with the plants and such nice jokes.

Preparing for Exhibitions in Singapore, then will be off to Paris/Mulhouse to see what's
new (interior products)  in the France.

I had some notes on travels, just need to get around to organize it. :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
You are a real globetrotter, Jessie! I'm sure you find your job interesting :)
When you get time, tell us more please.

Offline 3fren

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
We have no land to till George, got to work
harder to pay our Government to provide security
to our home  ;)

Offline 3fren

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
When there's some space left in my head,
I do pen some feelings to amuse myself.
Here's something to share :

27th February 2009

Happiness  - what is it ?

I noticed him.  Both clutches on the tables, humming away some
unfamiliar tune.  I watched him from the corner of my left eye.

When I was thru halfway with my dessert:  greenbean and sweet potato soup, saw him holding on to one clutch,  he was rocking forward and backward like  a child on his walker.
He inched slowly up with the left clutch, steadied himself,  grabbed hold of the right clutch, slow and steadily  stood up.  I was curious with this independence.

Sensing my staring, he turned towards me and walked towards me, offering me his goods ?
some cheap China paper clips.

Waving my hand, I didn?t want to buy.  Reaching out for my handbag, he read  the
body language very well and came nearer.  I pull out a Ten dollar bill and give it to him,
declining his paperclip.  But he insisted.

? You bring your own spoon ?? he started the conversation.

?Yes, I do ? I said.

? I bring my own too and also pincer for crabs.  I love to eat  crabs so I always
carry them?.  I am dumbfounded.

His slurred  spoken mandarin  bespoke an educated soul.
? You are admirable? I said.   He smiled but did not response ? he did not understood me.

He thanked me for the money, keep it in his waist pouch, collected his bag of goodies and slowly made his way out of the foodcourt, humming away and  to the next patron.

Hair ? crew cut, a pair of  legs , skinner then the goat?s,   grey T shirt and a short navy blue knickers pants, the type that sells for  3 pcs/S$10 in Chinatown and a pair of plastic china slipper.
He was smiling and humming  his own tune, engulfed in his own world..

I stood up with my firm body, legs and mind?. but my stature stooped as compared to him??

Appreciate your corrections of my English.: