Plants > Propagation

Verbena Bonariensis

(1/1)

NightHawk:
Can I aks what everyone does with this plant over winter, if you grow it that is?  :)

I have taken some cuttings and plan to take more but would like to not lose the plants I have already.

Consensus in the books I have read, suggest leaving the stems through winter without cutting down until the new shoots appear in spring. Also if in cold area dry mulch around the base of the plant through winter.

Kathy :-*

ideasguy:
I grow them, Kathy and Laurie. In my opinion they are indestructible!
I grew them from seed. Hit rate was high (I dont know why they are so costly to buy a plants   >:()
I planted out lots of them, and had lots over, which I neglected. The neglected ones just kept on going.

I didnt do anything to the ones outdoors - just left them in situ.
I cut out dead stems in early summer. They gave a wonderful show this year.

I think the instructions in yoiur book are good. However, you'll have to look at long stems all winter! I would try cutting them down to the lowest shoot on the stems, after flowering. At least they will be tidier looking, and will keep the plant active.

Over to other members to comment...

Palustris:
We just ignore them and chop them down in spring to ground level. If you want a few million of them you are welcome to come and remove them from the paths before I put weedkiller on it! :D

NightHawk:
I was just about to ask Eric if they self seed :)

Funny the plants I put in the front garden have just about gone over, the flower heads turing brown. The ones in the back garden still look fabulous with huge amounts of flying insects buzzing about them.

I went and cut some of the drying flower heads just now and put them in a bag.

Might as well trying to sow some of my own plants seeds :)

Kathy :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version