Author Topic: Begonias  (Read 5233 times)

NightHawk

Begonias
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »
Through another topic on the Forum the subject of Begonias has been raised.

It transpires that Toby (bossgard) is very much into Begonias, so I thought it would be a good idea to start off a new topic here, as it could prove to be popular.

This is an extract of a reply George made regarding them, after Toby had produced his first WPG Project which listed his collection.

The whole world will soon know that you are a Begonia enthusiast. What an interesting list you have published!
Even in wet Ireland, my Begonias have performed with excellence, both the Tuberous and rhizomatous varieties.
On the subject, I got 12 double begonias (tubers) free with one of my orders this year.
They don't have cultivar names, like yours Toby, but I'm very pleased with them. They make great "dot" plant around the garden, to brighten up a drab area where other plants have finished flowering for the season.
The other REALLY great thing about them - they just flower continually and prolifically for months on end.

George has also posted details of the National Begonia Society web site.  See the topic here - http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,765.msg3759/topicseen.html#msg3759

So, I've got it started.  Now over to the 'experts'.  :D

Laurie.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:34:20 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline bossgard

Re: Begonias
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:38:33 AM »
Thought this might be of interest to those who are growing or might be interested in growing Tuberous Begonias, particularly in the UK.

It is taken from ?The Oxford Companion to the Garden? edited by Patrick Taylor, under the topic of ?annuals and bedding plants? sub-topic History, printed by Oxford University Press 2006:

?The dates of the introduction of many annuals and bedding plants into Britain have been lost in time, but some are very ancient . . . . . . A surprising early introduction is that of the begonia, which was brought from the Americas in the 17th century by the French priest-botanist Charles Plummer (1646-1706).  It was a subject of much hybridization, and today well over 600 varieties are still available from British nurseries.?

The contributor for the book?s Editorial Team for the above is Tony Hender (who) has worked in England as a horticultural seedsmen through his working life, latterly specializing in breeding flower seeds. In 2000 he helped to establish Seedlynx, and independent wholesale supplier of flower seeds. From 1975 he has been a Royal Horticultural Society judge and has contributed to a number of books including the "RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants" (1996).

- Toby