Author Topic: The Sedum Society  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Palustris

The Sedum Society
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »
Website is here
http://www.cactus-mall.com/sedum/
Excellent society if you are at all interested in Sedums. the plant exchange is remarkably good.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: The Sedum Society
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Eric. Another great site to add to the resources here. It just gets better!
I take it that you have participated in the plant exchange scheme?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
In the past , yes. Nice thing about Sedum (and Semps and other succulents types) is that you can send them through the post as cuttings and they grow very easily.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
Thats very good news - I can see a few of our member plant collections will benefit.

We had a seed exchange program on the forum a couple of years ago.
From that,  I now have Echinacea & Rudbeckia from greenfinger, and Viola Penny Black from Harry (noideasman) doing well in my garden.
Perhaps we can get that exchange program going again.

By the way Laurie, I havent forgot about your bulbs! I will also be including a "bit with a root" of a perennial Phlomis which I recall had attracted your interest.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Yes Eric, good web site resource there - thanks for posting it.

Coincidentally, Kathy had just mentioned a couple of days ago about posting in the seed exchange section of the Forum, if anyone wanted some sweet pea seeds.

As you know from a previous posting we made about the success we had with our sweet peas, we were delighted with the prolific blooms, but we couldn't take full advantage of cutting the flowers to improve further growth, because she's not a "cut flowers in a vase in the house" type person.  So it seemed a bit of a waste that the cuttings were just going straight into the compost, and that we were actually doing it all for nothing.  Apart from the flowers looking nice outside, it was counter-productive.

So she thought it would be nice for someone else to benefit from them.

She'll do a separate post about this in due course.

Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
By the way Laurie, I havent forgot about your bulbs! I will also be including a "bit with a root" of a perennial Phlomis which I recall had attracted your interest.

We didn't think you'd forgotten George.  We know you've been exrememly busy with other things, so no problemo.  ;D

Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Just echoing your thoughts about the seed exchange George, we think it would be of benefit to many members to get this kicked off again.

With the help and input from yourself George, Eric and ourselves initially, it could prove to be very successful.  8)

When we're ready we'll have enough to get the topic started again anyway.

Just give the word George when you want us all to get going and get some posts in.  ;D

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
I'll revive it by posting a message in the original topic, and show a few photo of the plants I grew as a result of the exchange.
Beginning of Oct (after Tax returns done)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
I can see a few "lapses" on my part in this thread, so I will have to make amends!

Update on the Sedum Society.
Eric (Palustris), our Alpine plants "correspondent" (meaning expert, but knowing Eric I think he may be too modest to accept that accolade) asked if I'd like him to contact Ray Stephenson of the Sedum Society regarding photos for the Master Database.
Needless to say, Yes was the answer  :)
Eric sent an email to Ray, and I'm delighted to say the response was very positive.
Ive constructed a new WPG project from a number of batches of photos supplied by Ray.
I have to say I'm very impressed with both the quality of the photos, and the plants!
Heres the link:
http://www.cultivars.co.uk/sedumray/

Thanks once again for the introduction, Eric. This has opened a new and exciting connection with the beauty of nature, and another source of enjoyment for our members.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:35:46 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
I have had a look at the Web pages for this and have to say that anyone not enchanted with them must be very hard to please. Smashing.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »
Yes, they are really good!
I'm tempted with Sedum oreganum and Sedum acre 'Oktoberfest'  for starters!

Theres more to follow, in two batches received later.
I didnt get them processed because, guess what?
First, I failed to upload to the server on a number of attempts.
I thought it was the names of some of Rays photos (001.jpg, 002.jpg) and started renaming them.
Went into WPG to re-link and I hit a bug in the WPG screen GA032S08 , and guess what again, I think its the one that caused you all the grief.
After liniking, I couldnt see the photo in screen GA032S08!

The bug I found happens when youve added a photo, then go back and try to overwrite it, or replace it with another image.

I'm pleased to say, I managed to hunt down that bug and fixed it  ;)
It was very late last night and I'll post the updated GA032 later this evening.

OK, having managed to get the WPG to show pics again, I tried to upload to server, and it failed yet again!
After a few expletives, I tried to upload one image at a time, and the FTP program finally told me what the problem was:
Out of disc space on the server.
I deleted a few old out of date download files and managed to get Rays pages on-line (Whew!)

So, I'm having to dig deep today and buy more web space on that server!

Offline Palustris

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »
If I do the Exchange this year and I am hoping too, I will see if I can get those two for you. In fact I might have S, oreganum in my collection already.

Is Server space expensive? Can you set the cost against tax? Don't answer this if nosey!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
RE:
If I do the Exchange this year and I am hoping too, I will see if I can get those two for you.
Great! That would be very much appreciated!
Ive read on the sedum society web site that they travel well, and are easily grown.
The exchange you refer to - is that for members on the Sedum society site?

I also read (elsewhere) that one way to propagate multitudes of sedum is to put them through the shredder - every bit grows!
Seems a bit drastic, but I know that the little bits of sedum that break onto fragments when I'm weeding seem to take again.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
The Exchange is for paid up members of the Sedum Society. Sadly the exchange btween Britiain and America is almost impossible these day.

Bit drastic, but for some Sedums and related genera it would work. Don't try it with Rhodiola though, they only come from seed (mostly).

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »
Ive now moved the Sedum web pages to the cultivars.co.uk server. The new link is:
http://www.cultivars.co.uk/sedumray/

I thinks its quality material for that particular domain.

It includes all the photos sent by Ray Stephenson of the Sedum Society. Thanks once again to Eric (Palustris) for that introduction.

RE: (Palustric)
Is Server space expensive? Can you set the cost against tax? Don't answer this if nosey!
No secrets there, Eric
Well, I set it off against tax. Its part of my business operating costs.
Youve started another topical subject, so Ive started a new topic here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,912.0.html
You'll get some idea of the cost of hosting a web site