Author Topic: Uses for Garden Areas  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Aylee

Uses for Garden Areas
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
I?ve added an extra garden division ? the ?Not? Garden ? yes the pun was deliberate!  It has two areas:
1)   ?The Past Bed? which holds photos of plants I no longer have in my real garden, but want to keep on file
2)   ?The Future Bed? descriptions of plants as a ?wish list?.  This arose because I have been recording useful magazine articles in GA 007 which often included details of tempting plants which might be wedged into the garden when I?ve dug up a bit more lawn!
Now I can keep the Holding Bed free as a ?pending tray? for pictures not yet recorded or lassoed into their correct beds.  I was getting into a terrible tangle before.

I?m thinking of trying to scan in some of my old photos and slides to create a history of my garden.  Has anyone done such a thing?  I assume it would be best to start a whole new ?Gardener?.    Would it be best to keep the Garden Divisions as physical areas, and change the Areas into time periods e.g. 1960-1970?  Or the other way round?  Any comments and advice gratefully received!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Uses for Garden Areas
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:22:17 AM »
Hi Alison
Interesting!

The "PAST" bed is fine, and so is the "Future" bed. That will work well
Glad to see you are using G007! I get virtually no feedback on that, and it took AGES to develop.

A tip in GA007.
Use the MEMO button.
Avoid the other 2 options (WORD and SCANNED) They take up HUGE amounts of disk space.
When you click on Add a Memo document you get to GA007S11
Ive added the GET and VIEW buttons to do everything that the WORD and SCANNED options do,but take up NO EXTRA disk space.
In GA007S11, drag the Help Icon over the text area and read the instructions about GET and VIEW.

For your history, theres two options.
1) You can make a completely NEW database for your history (one or many).
You then use the Data Source to change from Current to History
You could have a database for each "era"
Plants are segregated in that option.
2) Do as you have suggested.
However, I would be inclined to make a new "gardener" for each era
e.g. a gardener called AYLEE 1960-1970, another called Aylee 1970-1980 etc
That way you could have the exact structure of the garden as it was in each era.
Beds come and go!
You can have as many "Aylee" gardeners as you wish.
You simply use the "Gardener" pop-up to change from one Gardener to another.
In this option:
All plants are in the same database (even though you have different gardens)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:22:19 AM by ideasguy »