Author Topic: An unusual Rose  (Read 3999 times)

Tom

An unusual Rose
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »
This is Rosa burgularis disembowelis, or its other name is Rosa sericea subsp omeiensis.f pteracantha. A rather longwinded name. It has wonderful translucent thorns which really stand out with the sun behind. Comes from the Himalayas and is relatively easy to grow.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: An unusual Rose
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »
Well done, Tom! Youve mastered the technique.
Interesting plant!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »
A very unusual Rose Tom.

Those thorns look vicious.  :o

Laurie.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
Rosa burgularis disembowelis: what's in a name uh? When I contemplate those thorns I get the impression the name is not too farfetched.
It's the first time I see such a contrasting colours in a rose (with a little help of the sun I understand?).
Do you grow them yourself?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:31:42 AM »
I had a chat with Tom on the phone about the unusual name. Its quite unusual in the Genus Rosa, but theres lots like that, and worse, in the Genus Rhododendron
e.g. Rhododendron sanguineum subsp. sanguineum var. didymoides Consanguineum Group                                   

I think those red thorns are "as they really are" (i.e. no effects due to the sun). Is that correct Tom?

On the phone, I talked Tom through how to use the Resize Photos - GA051 program to reduce photos for use on the forum.
We set both the values to 640.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:33:43 AM by ideasguy »

Tom

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:18:06 AM »
This rose can grow up to 6 feet in one season. I normally prune it to the ground in spring then give it a mulch of well-rotted manure. the thorns really are bright red, but when the sun gets behind they stand out more.It has lovely fern like foliage and produces 2" single white flowers close to the stem, with a slight fragrance. The thorns fade to brown as the wood ripens. The good thing about this speciies is that like most wild roses it is not affected by the pests and diseases that trouble hybrids. Tom

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Ive added your plant to the Master Database, Tom
I'd appreciate a copy of the original for that purpose, also a photo of the bush in flower, if thats possible.
If OK, please use my gmail account as usual.