Author Topic: Coreopsis rosea ?Sweet Dreams?  (Read 6496 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Coreopsis rosea ?Sweet Dreams?
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »
Heres a chance to buy one of the plants trialled by Paul Gooderham (NewplantsGuy on the forum)

First, you can read about it in the Blooms of Berssingham New Plants archives:
http://www.bloomsofbressingham.co.uk/newplants/coreopsis.asp

and Ive received an email from Hayloft Plants (UK) to say its on special offer for July
http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Lavender/rosea-Sweet-Dreams-3-young-plants/prod2175.html?cid=E08F

Plants ordered in this offer are delivering in August.

Offline Palustris

Re: Coreopsis rosea ?Sweet Dreams?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
We grew Coreopsis rosea some time ago. May still have the plants somewhere, but they were very disappointing. the flowers were small and the colour rather wishy washy. Hopefully these named ones will be a lot lot better than the pure species.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
I grow Coreopsis verticillata, the yellow variety.
Do you grow it, Eric?
I dont know about your garden, but in mine, it's only beginning to awaken from its slumbers now - July   :'(
I have to remember where it is at all times and keep that patch weed free waiting for it to "happen".
However, when it does, it's a very pretty flower.
Its supposed to spread, but mine hasnt read the cue.

I'd be keen to give 'Sweet Dreams' a try at that offer price, but need to find a nice location for it.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
We have a few different Coreopsis, sadly most are now unlabelled, but C. verticillata Zahgreb is  defiitely out there somewhere. They are just beginning to flower for us.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
Flowering wise, I have a feeling you are a few weeks ahead of gardens in N Ireland. A couple of degrees makes a big difference.
Plants in Dublin, 100 miles south of us, are in flower at least 1 to 2 weeks sooner.

I ended up with the roots of C. verticillata in my hand when weeding  earlier this year. I re-planted a bit of it, and potted up a small portion and grew it in the greenhouse. The one in the greenhouse took off! The bit outside? No sign of it - must take a closer look in that other patch.