Author Topic: Seed Germination  (Read 2537 times)

Offline no ideas man

Seed Germination
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »
Hi George
                You will already know about the unconvential methods I use to produce seedlings well I would like you to try this, the idea arose after reading about pre soaking Sweet pea seed and I wondered if it would work with other seeds.first of all find a pkt of seed with the least ammount of seed you will understand why later. Place the seed in a shallow container(i used a saucer and cover with water,place in a warm spot on a window sill is ideal inspect the seed at regular intervals you will notice the seed beginning to plump up and change colour eventually you will see the seed starting to sprout.tip out the seed onto kitchen roll and then plant into pots in the conventional way 2/3 seed in a 3in pot and grow on The seed I used was a variety of pansy and this method worked for me I have not tried it using annuals.If you try this method let me know the results. I planted the seed 1 to a pot now you will see why you don't want to many seed

Happy gardening

Harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Seed Germination
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:43:56 PM »
I tried that method with Acer seed Harry. I set them on damp tissue in a container in the fridge for pre chilling.
They germinated no problem, but when I planted them in pots, they died.
I was bitterly disappointed at the time, so gave up that method.

I think its to do with the shoot. It grows downwards and burrows instinctively into the soil, starts to root, then kicks the seed upright and the emerging first leaves eventually sheds the seed carcass.
I learned that the hard way, by observing Carpinus (hornbeam) seedlings (after the Acers, unfortunately-too late to learn for them)
Its amusing how they shed the carcass. I'd sowed them barely into the compost, so could see the process easily.

I