Author Topic: Penstemon cuttings  (Read 6339 times)

NightHawk

Penstemon cuttings
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
From a posting a few weeks ago

"I removed all but the very top leaves and those I cut in half and placed the cuttings deeper.
I then left one pot as it was in the cold frame and covered the other with a plastic bag. I did dip all the cuttings in rooting powder but was very very careful to only use a little on the very end. Last time I dipped into deeper powder and wonder if they don't like too much of it."

Well I am so happy to tell you that although the cuttings I left in an open to the air pot died the usual death, the ones I put a bag over are doing grand!! ;D

Soon as I noticed the new growth tips I rushed about and took more  ;)

So its obvious that Penstemon cuttings  need the humidity of a propagator or plastic bag to take.

I have tried a few other plants and put bags over the pot. Verbena Bonsariensis, Osteospermum, Dianthus and some French Lavender. Watch this space............

Kathy :-*

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Penstemon cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
Well done Kathy, that is terrific  8) More blooms for that lovely garden!

RE: The ones that failed.
Did you inspect them?
Did you water them?
If yes, is it possible that you watered them too much?
If yes, they may rot at the base.

I put my cuttings in the peat/grit mixture, and give the pot some water. I leave them in open air in the cool greenhouse, and keep the pot in a spot that doesn't get full sun.
Thereafter, I don't water until I see signs of growth.
If it takes more that a few weeks, and the cuttings look "living" and the pot feels very light/dry I give some more water, sparingly.

Once I see that the cuttings have well and truly taken, I give a little water.

We're watching this space to see how the cuttings go for the other plants!!

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »
I left the pot of penstemon cuttings that I did not cover with a plastic bag beside the ones I covered in the cold frame. They may have received more water than I would have liked when I watered the other plants in the frame.

Very quickly the cuttings seemed to flop to the side over the edge of the pot and did not do anything more. The cuttings in the pot I covered with a bag did not get any watering apart from what I gave them when I potted them up.

Last year when I tried these cuttings I did use my heated propagator but they still went limp and black. 

I used half vermiculite half compost every time.

I did watch an episode of Gardeners World last Summer and they visited a woman who holds one of the Penstemon collections in Northumberland I think it was, very near to the sea. She said she uses vermiculite to put the cuttings in, she didn't mention anything else so maybe its pure vermiculite?? Now that wouldn't hold much water at all, but I would think lots of heat??

hhhmmm ???

I should have tried it then but I figured no one would use pure vermiculite and no compost...I researched all over the web and everyone said use half/half mix of either vermiculite/perlite or grit with compost.

One thing though, I did not use at anytime cuttings compost just general compost.

I don't buy compost with any peat.

Perhaps I need to experiment.

Cuttings in half half covered with bag
cuttings in same medium uncovered but hardly water
cuttings in pure vermiculite and covered
cuttings in pure vermiculite uncovered.

Might as well try it as all of my Penstemon plants bar one have exploded with growth!
The only one that has not sprouted enough to take many cuttings is Blue Springs which I placed in the front garden and the colour glows! Wonderful.

Typical the one plant I want more of is a bit small  ::)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »
Penstemons are funny, some plants root even in the open air and others are reluctant to root even in the most propitious of circumstances.
It is always the same, though, the plant you most want to bulk up is the one which is most difficult to get cuttings from and to get to root. Nursery man friend. says that the best cuttings come from the part of the plant one removes to make it bush out from the base, by the way, if that is any use to you.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »
I have a love hate relationship with Penstemons right now. I have one pot of cuttings still wearing its plastic hat looking good. But cuttings I took later and did exactly the same as the first lot are not doing that well. I am starting to think buying the plants seems like a real good idea :)

My Mother read something about them last year that said Penstemons flower so prolifically that by the time you take a cutting its exhausted itself and won't root. hhhmm ???

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
Since your postings on your trials, Ive joined the laboratory staff. Ive a bunch of cuttings in a pot at present. I'll let you know the outcome. I had a very good hit with my last cuttings of P. 'King George'

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »
Always listen to what mommy says  ;)
I've good experience with cuttings of Penstemon 'Rich Ruby', taken in the second half of spring before flowering.
The picture shows the specimens from cuttings of previous years
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:01:52 PM by greenfinger »