Plants > Acer

A lesson in patience

(1/1)

whis4ey:
I want to post two photographs to illustrate the importance of planting Japanese maples properly and of not over watering or feeding, and to illustrate that these little trees have one set of spare buds just waiting to burst into life should the first set shrivel up (for whatever reason)
(They only have one spare set though, so don't get carried away )
AND to illustrate the need of NOT TO PANIC until you have to :)
The first pic shows an Acer palmatum 'Taylor' which I received from Holland in April. It arrived with me with the leaves totally shrivelled up. As soon as I receive plants in the post I water them and allow them to rest. With this particular plant, that was a mistake. When I tested it a few days later the finger test told me that the soil was much too wet
I broke up the soil where it was to be planted and then planted it almost on the top of the ground, and built up around it with a good garden soil. I added a little bone meal to the planting area to help with root growth. I resisted the temptation to water it in, mulched around it, and left it alone
The second pic shows the little plant a couple of days ago. It hasn't been watered, or fed, or anything done with it except to leave it alone to do what it wants to do, and that is to settle in and grow. It got watered when it rained and that didn't happen too often during this past month
It hasn't been subjected to any strong winds, and is fairly sheltered and in a not too sunny position (it would get afternoon sun)
I can see that it is going to do fine .... now all I have to do is to keep it protected from my resident hare .....

ideasguy:
RE:

--- Quote ---to illustrate that these little trees have one set of spare buds just waiting to burst into life should the first set shrivel up (for whatever reason)

--- End quote ---
I didnt know that little secret, Billy - nice one. How did you make that discovery, or was it experience?

That account made very interesting reading, and will be encouraging to others who may be faced with a similar situation.
Good luck with 'Taylor'

whis4ey:
Taylor today (September)

NightHawk:
You must have a golden touch there Billy.

What a beauty.  8)

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version