Computers > Security

Internet Protection Suggestions.

(1/3) > >>

NightHawk:
With Broadband Internet access a lot more affordable than it used to be, more and more people are online longer.

It is even more vital that you have the best software protection installed on your computer and it's fully up-to-date.

For several years I have used Zone Alarm Security Suite.  This software package includes a Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection.

Recently though, Zone Alarm has been conflicting with some of my other installed software.  I have now changed over to AVG Internet Security - (web site:  www.grisoft.com ).  This is a combined Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware package.

I no longer have the conflicts with the particular software that Zone Alarm affected.

There are several choices out there, each with their pros and cons.  You really need to read about them on the Internet and make your own mind up.
I usually visit two particular software download sites where you can also read user reviews - Tucows.com and Download.com.

Another invaluable piece of software that both Kathy and I use stores Usernames and Passwords for various online accounts.

This program is called Personal Vault - (web site: www.soft1st.com/ ).  It stores the web site address, Username and Password, E-mail address, and a Comments box.
This program comes in very handy as all you need to do to enter a Username or Password into the web site concerned is to press a 'Copy' button in Personal Vault, which copies the info to your Clipboard.  Then you just paste it into the appropriate box on the web site.

This is also beneficial if by some reason a hacker gets access to your computer with a 'keylogger' program they are using.  This can happen if your security software on your PC is either inadequate or non-existent.  By copying and pasting this info, you're never typing that sensitive information from your keyboard directly into the web site, so your keystrokes are not detected.
Personal Vault can also be password protected on your PC until you need to use it, so that no-one else can get unauthorised access to the info you have stored there.

Again, there are other similar choices out there, but I tried a lot of them and preferred this one.

Unwelcome Cookies are another bane of web sites.  A lot of web sites put Cookies on your computer when you visit without your knowledge.  Some of them are quite genuine, and necessary.  For example, if you have purchased something online that web site stores a Cookie so that you are recognised in the online shop.
Other Cookies can be a bit more sinister, and can log the Internet tracks you don't want other people to know about, or where that information can be used by third parties for ulterior motives.

To control which Cookies you trust and wish to leave stored on your computer, you need a program to control them.  As with the above Internet Security packages, most of them have a Cookie control section to monitor this.

Personally, I prefer a dedicated program to handle the Cookie control.  I use Privacy Eraser Pro - (web site:  www.privacyeraser.com), but have also used Window Washer from www.Webroot.com.

With a dedicated Cookie control program you can select from the list of Cookies the ones you want to keep.  There are also sections where you can clear your Browser Cache, Most Recently Used Programs, Clipboard info, various areas of Windows where certain procedures are stored, etc.  Some also have File Shredder modules where you can 'permanently' delete sensitive files without fear of them being recovered from your hard drive by file recovery software.

There are numerous offerings available on the Internet so it's a case of reading up on a few and seeing which ones give the overall best performance for your own situation.

All of these security measures I've mentioned so far are down to personal choice.  The key fact here is that you need to have protection of some kind and not to think that because you don't visit 'unsavoury' web sites you will be okay, that is just not the case.
Hacker attacks can, and do, happen from the most unlikely sources.

You've probably heard the term 'Phishing.'  This will usually come in the form of an email from a seamingly genuine source.  They ask you to update or confirm your banking details, or reveal your Username and Password for an account that they need to update.
NEVER under any circumstances respond to emails of this nature.  Hackers have set up 'spoof' web sites that may appear genuine, but if you hover your cursor over the hyperlink they have included, it is different to the site you think you are going to.
Genuine companies will never email you asking for this type of information, so don't be fooled.

Major Banks, Building Societies, PayPal and eBay are some of the most common companies being used for 'Phishing' attacks, and the hackers are relying on the less computer savvy or gullible people to respond to them.  Believe me, however silly this may sound it does happen.  People are taken in and find out only when it's too late and they have been incurred substancial financial bills or money losses.

So, if you don't have any security at all, or have some of the program types mentioned here, maybe consider tightening up your security as best you can.

Armed with those, and common sense, you should have a pleasant Internet experience.

We would like as much input about computing in general from our Members, but particularly on security.  What you do to protect yourself and the software you have found to help you achieve this.

Laurie.

bossgard:
Laurie: I have some PasswordMax software that I would really like to use, but it was originally Shareware, and although the original recommendation is one I trust, I have one of those weird feelings about it, specially since it?s dealing with sensitive information. I purchased the CD direct from the author.

I?m using AVG Grisoft (full version) as you are, will it scan the PasswordMax software CD before it even has a chance to corrupt my computer?

AVG doesn?t come with any kind of manual, so I don?t know how to handle a situation where AVG might block any kind of download (update, etc.) from PasswordsMax if it occurs. I don?t like purchasing software programs as downloads, much rather have the original CD in my hands. .

Thanks,

- Toby

NightHawk:
Toby, it's good to see that you are taking your PC security seriously.  Sadly, many people don't until it's too late.  :(  >:(

To answer your question, AVG will automatically scan the installation files on your CD, and warn you if any suspicious files are encountered.  You will get the option to quarantine such files, but if they are essential to the installation then the installation will not continue without them.  You must abort the installation at this point.  Details of the suspicious files that AVG encounters will be given and you can then make further checks on the particular file/s on the Internet to see what the threat level is.

Some Anti-virus software can give what is termed a 'false positive', in that it thinks a file is malicious when it is in fact harmless.  This is where checking with the AVG web site, as well as other anti-virus web sites, on the file in question to see what the report is.  This is to establish if you have grounds for concern before confronting the software developer.  Depending on what is found depends on what you do after that.

However, if you are like me (and I suspect you are), I like to manually scan a program before the installation stage takes place, just for added peace of mind.

To do this, insert the CD into your drive.  Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your CD-Rom Drive and right-mouse click on it.  You will get a menu that has an option to Scan with AVG.  Click that option and AVG will automatically scan the CD for any 'suspicious' files.

I always do this with ANY software I download, regardless of the trustworthiness of the developer concerned.  Call me paranoid but it's the only way to be sure.  :)

I hope this helps.

Laurie.

bossgard:
Laurie:

Mission accomplished! I scanned the software PasswordsMax CD by itself, no problems. Installed the CD on my computer, no problems. Me, very much relieved, thank you!

Help me on this one, if you will, please. When I had my computer made up, the gentleman that did it, did a very good job, by that I mean, that the computer is doing exactly what I told the gentlemen I wanted it to do - run Genie software.

The D drive that he put on the computer is a Sony 18X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, would you explain in layman?s terms the ?+/-RW? of that description. In doing weekly backups, it takes 3 DVD?s one for the data and another for the media, and another for my photo library. And they are expensive! Question: With above description of the drive, can I re-format or whatever to use (write-over) the old DVD?s from previous backup sessions?

What I am using is Memorex Double Layer DVD+R DL, double capacity, single sided. It?s about all I can find available in local shops, or on internet.

Again thanks, don?t know what I would do without you and George!

- Toby

NightHawk:
Toby, glad that worked out for you.  ;D

Basically, the DVD +/- RW are two new technologies the computer geeks have introduced for us for large data storage.

It does not matter which DVD RW discs you go for, either + or - will do the job.  As your DVD drive supports both then just decide on one of them and stick with that.  I use +RW and works fine for me, just don't mix them to be on the safe side.

RW, (Re-Writeable), as the name implies, allows you to reformat the RW discs as many times as you want to, add and delete data to them at will until they're full.  If you then want to keep that particular data on the RW you could copy it to a DVD+R, clear the RW and start again.  As for the DVD+R discs, they are WRITE/RECORD ONLY.  You can only record data to them once.  Actually, I'll qualify that statement.  You could use one DVD+R disc but use it as a multi-session disc - adding one file or program to it one day, then add something else another day, and so on until that disc is full.  Just decide before you add any data to it for the first time how you want to use it, and select that option from your DVD burner software.  You may find you can delete stuff from it, but although the data names will disappear, the space is still taken up and is not available - it's gone forever.  This is their only limitation, which is why they are cheaper than the RW's.

Although I do have a few RW's, I use more (R) Record only discs than anything else, for the very reason that they are cheaper and serve my purposes.

It's really just personal choice here Toby.

Laurie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version