Author Topic: Primroses  (Read 3527 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Primroses
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
This is the first book ever devoted entirely to the primrose. The author had one of the largest collections of old and modern primroses ever brought together, more than 200 varieties.
Ref.: The Garden Book Club, London, 1959, 171 pp.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:14:38 PM by greenfinger »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Primroses
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:16:28 PM »
Follows the summary of the book about the primrose. As the kilobytes are restricted I had to use a rather low resolution. Hope it still is readable.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:28:53 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
Looks like a real good read, André
They belong to a very large Genus - and I love them all! Mine are at their best right now. Lovely plants, and they come back reliably every year. I find the leaves go limp in summer, so I now water them during long hot dry spells (rare in Ireland)

I can read the pages OK, and I'll look out for the book.
Hows the shade garden going?

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
Plants are growing rather slowly I find, George. The month of March broke the records of wetness. Weather is too cold for the time of the year here. This night there will a bit of night frost. I had to close my cold frames again. But our camellia has made its first flower! We bought it last year without name. The flowers have the nice regular form of a rose.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:29:55 PM »
As Kathy and Laurie posted earlier today, Winter has returned in the UK. Today was BITTERLY cold. I didnt feel at all gulty sitting working on the computer all day  ;D
We've had our fair share of the wet March!

As for plants growing slowly - well - my dandelions are not. They are bang on schedule - lots of cheery yellow heads on Saturday.
Actually, things are growing quite well here, I think. My Japanese maples are about to burst into leaf, probably this week.
I see an open flower on my new Magnolia stellata!! Beautiful flower, beautiful scent (faint but absolutely lovely)