Author Topic: Imberhorne Lane Nursery - Catalog on CD  (Read 6612 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Imberhorne Lane Nursery - Catalog on CD
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »
Ive been in contact with Michael at Imberhorne since October 2002. It was around that time that I began creating a Camellia database.
I first mooted the idea of a Catalog on CD for his business in April 2004, and Michael was very interested. I made up a draft, but wasnt quite happy with the database at that stage.

Since then, we now have IG, IG Pro, and FG, and all Catalogs on CD will be common in functionality in all systems.

I'm working on this today as part of another project. I'm also using the software "as a user", and testing the programs after the full size screen modifications.
I hope to have a "draft" copy of the Catalog on CD over the next few days.
If you'd like a copy, please let me know. If Michael agrees, I will let you have a copy of the draft.
It will speed things up if we can get feedback quickly. Spring is approaching!!

I spoke to Michael on the phone today, and he informs me that the 2007 catalog is soon to be published on their website, and that they are moving to a new web site.
He's very excited about his product range, as he has expanded the business to cover the following:
Acers
Azalea
Bamboo
Camellia
Rhododendron
Roses
Shrubs
Tree Peonies

Heres the current web site:
http://www.camelliasonline.co.uk/

and heres the new web site which will replace the above in a month or two.
http://www.treepeoniesonline.co.uk
Click on the downloadable brochure for a peep at whats on offer.

I'll invite Michael to visit and tell us more.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:46:03 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Imberhorne Lane Nursery - Catalog on CD
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »
This project was shelved until I upgraded all my software.
Now thats complete - I'm back on the case!

I wrote this Catalogs software more than a year ago.

To use the finished article, you put the CD in the drive, and click the Catalogs tab on the menu, and run program GA040
The procedure is exactly the same on FG as IG Pro.

You will be able to a) Order on line, b) create a Mail order for posting, or c) click a button to automatically email the supplier for a quote (along the lines of the SEND plants button).

The supplier will have a special IG Pro program to read in your email (much the same in principle as your Get Plants program) and will be able to turn around enquires very quickly, advising shipping costs and availability, recommended substitutes etc.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:08:49 PM »
Photos of Camellias would be much appreciated right now, for inclusion in the Catalog on CD.

In our email correspondence tonight, Andre told me he had been on a day out to the Botanical Garden of Leuven near his home in Belgium, and told me about the fantastic display of Camellias which are in full bloom at the moment.
I enquired if they were labelled. The answer was yes.
He "volunteered" (he reverts to the name Frodo when he volunteers for involvement in my projects)
 to take some photos!

Do you have photos of named Camellia plants? General views of the plants in the garden and close up of the flowers would be very much appreciated. Please send to my gmail account. Get in touch and I'll email this to anyone who wishes to contribute.
In return? A free copy of the Catalog on CD, with lots and lots of photos - including my own photos taken in Lady Dixon Park, Belfast, at the International Camellia Trials garden. I liken it to heaven on earth. Its absolutely beautiful.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:14:54 PM »
The botanical garden in Leuven (Louvain) today in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:17:08 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:41:39 PM »
Whats that shiny bright stuff? Sunshine?

Hope you and Lut enjoyed your day out André
Thanks for the multitude of Camellia photos you sent today. Excellent job!
Ive been adding the plant names and comparing to whats available in Imberhorne catalog.
I'm getting excited about this catalog!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
I'm delighted to say that this project is reaching completion.
I spent months developing this Catalogs on CD feature a couple of years ago. It was shelved due to other priorities (e.g. Windows Vista upgrades)
Ive been communicating with Michael (the owner of Imberhorne) again and I hope to get the latest version of the software despatched to him next week.

I would like to ask for volunteers to "play" with the Catalog on CD, by making the Catalog available as a download.
The download version wont have photos, but, I'd like you to browse through the Catalog items and test adding selected items to a mail order.
Other than feedback (on how you get on with the revised GA040) theres no commitment, of course, but if you wish, you will be able to place orders using the printed Mail Order form, or by email. That, of course, is what the Catalog on CD is for!

Instructions on how to install the download, and how to "work" Catalogs to follow as soon as poss.

Micheal will use the software to link his plants to photos, place links to his web site etc to produce the finished article.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
Excellent work George - you have been a busy little beaver.  ;D

We would like to volunteer to do some testing for you, so look forward to more details when you're ready.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Kathy and Laurie!
Yes, beavering would be an apt description. The word Owl (Night) comes to mind as well!

I have to say I'm really excited about this development. Having spent the best part of 6 months (adding up the 2006, 2007 and 2008 time) its a huge relief to make this announcement.

It will be another busy weekend here - but now the members have a little preview of "Whats New".
I'll put a Google link, so users can do some surfing on each plant - (to find photos etc)
I'll aslo inclde a few photos in the download, so you get a "picture" (no pun intended??) of what the finished article will look like.
This project will pull together the photos from André (our good friend Greenfinger on the forum) his photos from the Leuven Botanical Gardens and my own photos, taken at the International Camellia Society trials gardens at Lady Dixon Park, Belfast - a heaven on earth park!!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 01:44:19 PM »
The Imberhorne Lane Nursery Catalog is now ready for testing as a download.

First, make sure you have installed the updates listed in the Gower Fuchsias thread:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,563.0.html
See my posting, April 6th 08

Then start the Suppliers Catalogs program GA040 (from the Menu tab, top of screen)
Click the button More Catalogs (bottom left corner of screen)
On the web page, you'll find an active link to download the Imberhorne catalog.

Please do the same "Challenge" as described in the Gower Fuchsias thread (same link as above) and post your findings.
Due to the months of development involved, your support in this project wil be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:46:13 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »
Many thanks to Kathy and Laurie for giving this a go. Laurie found a few "issues"    :-[ and sent me a very detailed and in depth account by email.   
In response, Ive located the root cause (no pun intended), and posted an update to the Catalog download, as one of the problems was in the database.
I'm working on another item reported by Laurie. It will entail a change to program GA040.
This feedback is invaluable, if anyone else would like to give it a try.

Laurie has made an observation about the names of a series of Rhododendrons. I'll let Laurie explain  :)

Incidentally, I spoke to Michael (Imberhorne Nursery) and he informs me that he despatches all summer. He tells me its now too late for ordering bare root roses, so if you'd like some, they are supplied in pots in summer.
The catalog contains a superb range of plants, and very reasonable prices.

Finally, the shipping costs in the Catalog may not be correct. Michael will look at those rates, and we shall get them finalised ASAP.

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 10:23:15 PM »
Laurie has made an observation about the names of a series of Rhododendrons. I'll let Laurie explain  :)

This was found during the testing of the catalog when I was adding some plants to the Mail Order.

I had gone into the Rhododendron section and was looking down all the varieties.  I had a good chortle here because I started to see names like Sneezy and Grumpy.  I started to think this is a coincidence..... they sound like the names of Snow White's dwarves.  And the more I went down the list I saw all the others appearing.  This was obviously not a coincidence, but deliberately done that way.  ;D  Very amusing I thought.

It's amazing what you find when you really look.  8)

It would be really great to see more people give this catalog a test and have fun at the same time.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
After a long interlude, I'm back on this project.
I had a word with Mike (the owner of Imberhorne) at the weekend. Ive set the software up for Nurseries to use, but in Imberhornes case it needs a lot of input from Mike to add Prices and Buy Options for his stock.
The Catalogs program (GA040) which you use to explore the finished article needed more work to make it work for Chiltern, and after that, the improvements I did for that project need to be applied for the previous catalogs (Imberhorne and Gower Fuchsias)

When we get this up and running, I think Phil may want to create a catalog for his enterprise.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
yes a catalog is worth thinking about later in the year/early next year, have you finished playing with chiltern catalog as i have not downloaded it yet and you did say to wait cos you had a bit of tinkering to do on it
Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Still tinkering, due to Imberhorne.
I'm preparing to upload some things now. Will let you know.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
Ive now published the updated catalog.
Its not ready for you guys to download yet.
Mike has downloaded, plus a list of updates I recommended, and we talked for almost an hour this evening on the phone. I took him through the procedure for setting up the Catalog (you'll see the programs under the Nurseries tab on the IG Menu)
Hes made exceptionally good progress. Its been very straight forward so far.
Mike is configuring the Delivery options, Couriers, weight breaks etc.
I'll keep you informed.