Plants > Acer

A P 'Osakasuki' .... a beacon of light

(1/4) > >>

whis4ey:
This small tree, planted in deep shade, stands out like a bright beacon of light
Planted three years ago, this is the best colour it has produced so far
These trees take a few years to settle after initial planting, before they start to show of their best
I have to say this one is rather spectacular this year

ideasguy:
Great photo, Billy, and I understand exactly what you mean by the beacon of light. It has to be seen to be fully appreciated, of course.

If someone is limited to a small collection of Acers, I would recommend that this one be included.

Heres the photos of mine this year:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/ideasguy/20071006/RIMG0018.JPG
and
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/ideasguy/20071006/RIMG0022.JPG

Mine dopped its leaves a few weeks ago Billy. When did you take the photo you've show us?

Still in leaf with me is 'Aoyagi', 'Shindeshojo' and 'O-kagami' the latter is also a beacon of light at present.

I have them "semi-planted" in a shady area in a little group for contrasting foliage effect- the 12-14in pots are partially submerged, so the plants can draw moisture from the soil. I find this is a really good idea for plants in pots in general.
However, they will need to be dug up and root pruned every couple of years as the roots will eventually emerge through the drainage holes in the bottom of the pots.

whis4ey:
Yours are lovely too George
My pic was taken just a couple of days ago
Leaves are still intact today :)

ideasguy:
Could the deep shade be the secret?

That little trio I mentioned above get very little sun, and still have leaves. With the exception of one variety, the others, in the open, are bare.

Any such observations in your garden?

whis4ey:
I don't think so George
My last Osakasuki was in sun almost all the time and had brilliant autumn colour
Those in more open areas would obviously have more effect from wind, and lose their leaves from that source
One can only surmise ..........  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version