Author Topic: Backing up using USB flash drive  (Read 3583 times)

Offline gardenfan

Backing up using USB flash drive
« on: May 10, 2006, 06:47:38 PM »
I have just migrated ideas genie to a new computer (with George's help). From the old computer I copied the backup files to a USB flash drive. As long as correct system path is set, the files restore with no problem.  It seems an easier way than messing about with Windows CD writing.
By the way, I think Windows CD-RW writing reports read only because the CD is not formatted to Windows specification. It seems that most of the packet writing software require different formats.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Backing up using USB flash drive
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 12:25:24 AM »
You didnt need much help Sylvia. I am very impressed!

Working with drives and folders seems to require "more than average" knowledge of computers in this day in age. You are way above average!

Its no fault of the user. I am of the opinion that computer operation is "dumbed down" as much as possible.
They dont encourage exploring your computer beyond "My Documents". They most certainly dont want you in the black Command screen anymore!

Doing a backup is one thing. The proof of the pudding is when you have to restore it!

There's the "Read only" problem, which you have touched on.
I do need to explain more about that to our members.

When Ideas Genie database files are backed up using Windows tools (My Computer or Windows Explorer) onto CD they will be "read-only".
Database Files which are read-only cannot be added to, or edited.

Onto CD-RW? Depends on the software program you use.

When you restore Ideas Genie database files (from your CD backup) onto a Hard Disc using Windows tools (My Computer or Windows Explorer) they will also  be "read-only".

If you start Ideas Genie and attempt to add or edit a plant you will get the message:
"Cannot update the cursor"
Please remember that!

If you see it, theres nothing really to worry about, if you know a little about file properties, and how to change them.
You can "Select All", right click in the folder, click properties and change the file parameters to remove the "Read Only" flag, all in one click.
You can only succeed with this on Hard Disc, of course.

The way you did the restore is the easy way,Sylvia.
Files restored from a CD or Flash using the File Restore programs provided in Flower Genie and Ideas Genie will restore the files so they are NOT read only, and can be readily used.

Thus, I recommend using the Backup and Restore programs in Flower Genie/Ideas Genie for data security. The Flash disk is perfect!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:20:53 AM by ideasguy »