Author Topic: Tulips  (Read 3386 times)

Offline no ideas man

Tulips
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:27:26 AM »
Hi
    I am posting this tip in the hope it may be useful to other gardeners out there,what did I do well I planted 100 Tulips in 2litre pots 5 to a pot you know the packets you get in garden centres I  added a small ammount of fertilizer (Bonemeal) then I planted the pots in the border about 1in below the surface of the soil and believe me I had the best show of Tulips I have ever had after flowering they can be lifted and placed in a corner of the garden ready to be planted again next season there is also the added bonus of not chopping them with the hoe.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tulips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:57:06 PM »
Well, I am very pleased to read that!
I finally gave up on having time to plant the last of the bulbs I bought on 29th Sept in Tescos, so yesterday I planted them in pots, with the intention of doing just as you have suggested.

The bulbs left were Allium 'Christophii', A. 'Purple Splendour' and Muscari armeniacum

My problem was that I have so many bulbs which have legged around the garden (mostly Crocus) and I dont want to upset them at this time. They will be in growth now, but havent appeared above the surface.
With the pots approach, I can place the pots in the gaps.

Glad to hear the trick works with the tulips. I should have added some bone meal... good idea!

100 tulips would make a great display. The ability to lift them easily is a big bonus! No waiting until the leaves die back.
Have you tried that for daffodils? I love them, but it seems a long wait until they die back each year, particularly as its at a time of the year when the rest of the garden looks so good.

Offline no ideas man

Re: Tulips/Daffs
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:01:05 PM »
hi
   it works just as well with daffs the difference is i did not lift them as they are right at the front of the border and as i know they are there i will not catch them with the hoe they are just beginning to show the var is tete-a-tete

happy gardening

harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 04:00:17 PM »
Tete-a-tete's are great little flowers. Small and neat, not untidy after flowering. Mine flower very early, a few weeks before my mainstream daffs, so they are even more welcome.
I plant spring flowers just outside the French windows from my dinette. Daffs, Tulips, Iris reticulata, Anemone blanda, Primula vulgaris, P. veris, P. denticulata, Helleborus niger and other varieties, Crocuses, Snowdrops, etc, etc.
I have my development computer there, much to the annoyance of my better half. But, my argument is that I need to see my side gardens and flowers for inspiration when programming LOL
Its lovely to see those beauties appearing, to lure me out to the garden again.
I have a range of plants there for Autumn, to enjoy when the garden season is just about over (Cyclamen, Fuchsia etc)

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »
Hi
    In reply to post about tulips and spring bulbs try this, go into your garden centre you may find the spring bulbs have been reduced for a quick sale ask the centre what they do with unsold bulbs as sometimes they are sale or return make them an offer on bulbs that you want you may have to take the lot.I did the same thing last february and I bought 300 Crocus/100 tete a tete for a tenner give it a try you may be surprised, do you remember i bought the T@m seed the same way.

Happy Gardening

no ideas man

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:01:42 AM »
I'll look out for those bargains Harry.

Are the Tete-a-tetes showing yet?

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »
Hi george
               The tete a tete are beginning to poke thre heads through as are some tulips I must have missed when I was lifting them do you remember I grew them in pots so they could be moved after flowering

happy gardening

harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 10:43:51 AM »
Thats the problem with bulbs, and why I hesitated so long before planting the large selection I purchased in Sept 05.
I have bulbs everywhere! They spread as I weed, particiularly Crocus... but I'm NOT complaining! Love them all.

I'm hoping to get out to the greenhouse and the garden today to deal with a whole lot of seed!.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:25:41 AM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

Re: Tulips and other bulbs
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 10:42:43 AM »
Hi fellow gardeners
                           Lets talk crocus for a moment I have tried growing crocus quite a number of times and have been disapointed every time don't get me wrong they are great little plant and they grow quite welll to begin with but then they tend to fall over and look untidy perhaps I am not planting them deep enough can anyone help the wife says it's the one plant I cannot grow and I would like to prove her wrong.

Happy gardening

harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
I noticed that last year Harry,in a new set of Crocus bulbs I planted, cultivars.They grew fine, but the flowers stems were weak looking and they flopped very untidily.

Most of my crocuses were inherited with the house and dont do that. They are upright and give a great display.
My father planted them, and they have gradually spread around the garden and have naturalised into nice little clumps in some places. My father died in 1984, so its fair to say they are perennial and good value for money!

But one other GOOD thing last year. I love to have a small posy at my computer at all times, in a small decorative jug.
Something nice to look at and remind me what these projects are all about.
We cut some crocuses last year and put them by my computer.
I couldn't believe the result!! They opened out almost flat to about 4ins!
In Ireland, they rarely open out at all, unless its a REALLY sunny day (what... in Ireland)
But when they were cut, boy were they beautiful.
Nt only that, they had a beautful scent and to my surprise they lasted a few days.
Crocus as a cut flower... yes!

I'd like to hear our member comments.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:18:59 AM by ideasguy »

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 05:32:51 PM »
Crocus as a cut flower..... yes!  I've used them in small flower arrangements quite often.  They are good in floral foam as well as water, and last well if kept in a cool position out of direct sunlight.  The smell was a surprise the first time I used them - I wasn't expecting that! :D

Regarding planting bulbs in pots before planting them out in the garden - I read a cool tip a few years ago about planting bulbs in one of those plastic baskets normally used for planting aquatics.  That way the bulbs can get their roots out into the ground for nutrients and water, but still be lifted easily. :D 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 12:56:57 AM »
That tip would be good for the daffs (Narcissus) Chrissie
I can tolerate all other leaves dying back, but the long Narcissus leaves just flop about and seem to linger so long.
They are at their worst when the rest of my garden is at its best (in the areas where I have them in abundance)

On the crocus, have you ever noticed - do any of the labels make claim that they are scented?
Actually, its a very nice scent as I recall.

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 11:13:20 PM »
I've never seen anything on the labels that says they are scented, George.  I suppose that not many people would think to use them as cut flowers, and even less people would be likely to get down and sniff them, so I suppose that's why no one has ever mentioned it!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:31:29 AM »
Isnt that a big omission by the suppliers. Its a good plus point to most peolpe.

...and even less people would be likely to get down and sniff them, so I suppose that's why no one has ever mentioned it!
I'm down at that level quite often  ;D