Author Topic: Garden Tools Recommended by our members  (Read 10775 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Garden Tools Recommended by our members
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »
I received a very nice email from Trevor today, and thought I'd open this up for discussion.

by Trevor:
In my experience in any sphere, that anything less than a professional tool or method means that the job is going to be harder, less efficient and won't get the same results. The old saying "a poor workman blames his tools" doesn't hold ground if he's working with poor tools

My best Garden Tool?
An edger.
Mine is an american product by Homelite

Heres an alternative:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100052063

Must do some more research.

On to the thread subject.
Any Garden Tools you'd like to recommend?

NightHawk

Re: Garden Tools Recommended by our members
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »
I have to say that I don't go anywhere in our garden without my secateurs and knife.

Strapped to my waist belt in a special pouch to hold them I feel like an Old Wild West gunslinger.  :)

My secateurs of choice are from the Felco range, Model 2 to be precise.  My research shows these to be very good quality and very popular with all skill levels of gardeners.

I originally purchased the Felco 7 model, which has a swivel handle to lessen wrist strain.  Personally, I could not get to grips with them - pun intended, as the swivelling handle did on many occasions cause the secateurs to slip out of your hand, opening the blades to their fullest extent.  Dropping them was a frequent result.  I recently sold them on eBay for a reasonable price.

I don't know if anyone else has experience of this particular model.  For those who have not yet tried this model, be wary and try to test them before you purchase them.  I didn't do this.  I just purchased them online - big mistake.  I think this is a gardening tool you have to try out first.

My knife is a good quality locking blade model, with a 2-and-a-half inch long straight blade.  Ideal for jobs like taking cuttings.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »
my ride on lawn mower when i get a go (the boy is always on it cutting the grass  ;))

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
Ive been resisting the pressure for years to buy a ride-on. My argument is that I have too many intircate areas, that I'd need to use a smaller mower after doing the main areas with a a rideon.
My mower had a drive, then engine went and the replacement engine had no drive, so its now a push mower.
Since I stopped playing indoor soccer a couple of years ago I need something to keep me fit! It a heavy-ish beast.

Another big plus, it has a roller, and that type of mower leaves lovely stripes, setting the garden off.
Friday night from spring to autumn is my designated time for the grass cutting chore. I lke to wake up Sat morning to a pristine lawn nicely edged.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
I wonder if you can buy a scaled-down remote-controlled model of the ride-on mower.
One you can operate from inside your house, or whilst sitting in a garden chair enjoying the sun, and sipping on your pina colada.  :D
(There could be a marketing potential there.  ;) )

Our gardens are not large enough for a full size ride-on mower, and grass cutting is not a task I particularly relish doing.  Just making do with our electric cylinder mower instead.

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »

I wonder if you can buy a scaled-down remote-controlled model of the ride-on mower.
One you can operate from inside your house, or whilst sitting in a garden chair enjoying the sun, and sipping on your pina colada

And NO I have not got one. Although we mow the lawns in growing season, every two days, it keeps the lawn thick, just like pruning a plant, more shoots.

Mr Gadget

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
Every two days Malcolm  :o
How DOOOO you find the time.You must work real fast!
every two days, it keeps the lawn thick
Thats interesting!
What is your program for fertilising and weed control, Malcolm?

I would love to have time for 2 cuts per week. By the time Friiday comes around its needing attention. When its cut, I get to enjoy the nice tidy look over the weekend.
Since you are open to the public, I expect you have to keep it looking good at all times!

Offline roiphil

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »
Having 2 properties with grass i got fed up with a self drive mower and no one was offering to cut the grass  :( i wonder why, so i bought the ride on and now i dont cut the grass an awful lot as the boy does it for me which is kind of him  ;)

Tom

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
I couldn't do without my ride-on because it takes two and a half days per week in the season to cut the grass, I live in fear of it breaking down.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
RE: (Tom)
I live in fear of it breaking down
I bet you do, Tom  :) Thats a lot of grass cutting!
Phils not far behind with having to tend to 2 properties! Good to see youve managed to find a way of delegating that chore Phil.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
We get lots of comments re the lawns, including "are we allowed to walk on it".

Lyn bought the cheapest turf she could buy when she moved here 20+ years ago. (before my time)

So I am probably going to shock you when I say that the first feed we give, is Blood Fish and Bone.

It is getting more difficult to buy a lawn fertilizer that doesn't have iron in it to kill moss, accidental overdosing can kill the grass, so we stick to the BFB. We have very little moss or weeds anyway because the grass is so thick. And the BFB is cheaper.

We then feed with Miracle grow lawn food applied with an end hose feeder, about every 3 weeks.

After each open day the lawns look rather flat with approx 200 pairs of feet walking around the garden several times. So as soon as we can after, the lawns get a drink, which soon perks them up again ready for cutting.

The lawns are watered with a hand held hose before they have a chance to dry out in hot weather, we have quite sandy soil, we are not on a water meter!

So plenty of cutting,water and feed is the answer for us. A smart lawn sets off the rest of the garden.

The mower is nothing special, just a rotary petrol mower.

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »
RE: (Tom)
I live in fear of it breaking down
I bet you do, Tom  :) Thats a lot of grass cutting!
Phils not far behind with having to tend to 2 properties! Good to see youve managed to find a way of delegating that chore Phil.

Delegating i dont knw about that as he always has his hand out afterwards, top up on mobile phone, money for pictures, still it keeps him active and gives him an interest, (he still cant do doughnuts on though  ;D )

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »
Ive been resisting the pressure for years to buy a ride-on. My argument is that I have too many intricate areas, that I'd need to use a smaller mower after doing the main areas with a a ride on.

My sentiments exactly, George. Luckily my engine still works. I left our Honda rotor mower for service two weeks ago (that has a roller too)  When I went to collect it he had it ready as promised. His name is Steve, aged in his 50's I should think, and has a barn sort of place where he works entirely on his own. I have never seen a tidier workshop. He takes such a pride in his work. It is swept clean, all his tools hang neatly on the wall and the lawnmowers (there must have been about thirty of them) were all parked in neat rows. Although our lawnmower is old he had made it spotlessly clean, the blade all sharpened up and everything was in good working order for the spring. He told me that I had an excellent machine and that it is one of the earlier Hondas actually made in Japan. He told me that they are not made in Japan now and although good, are not as good as mine. I told him that it is up to him to make it last as long as I do.

Now with my blinking shoulder I can't use it !!!!  >:(

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:30 PM »
Sounds like youve got a real good lawnmower there Eric!
Does it have a power drive?
Hows the shoulder coming on? Any improvement?

RE: (Malcolm)
the first feed we give, is Blood Fish and Bone.
We then feed with Miracle grow lawn food applied with an end hose feeder, about every 3 weeks.
The lawns are watered with a hand held hose before they have a chance to dry out in hot weather
I missed that reply Malcolm. I'd never have thought of using BFandB.
This season, I'll give your tips a go in the little garden outside our Dining room window. It would cost a fortune to do all the grass.

and again from Malcolm:
A smart lawn sets off the rest of the garden
I couldnt agree more. The vista looks best with a lush green presentation.
I find a neat edging is essential. Nicely mown and neat edging and I get away with a lot of evils in the borders!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Sounds like youve got a real good lawnmower there Eric!
Does it have a power drive?
Yes it does have a power drive, George, and a roller to give the stripes you like

Hows the shoulder coming on? Any improvement?
It is not too painful now but a bit awkward to sleep on. I still can't raise my upper arm . I am going to ring the doc tomorrow.
Thanks for asking, George.

Eric H