Author Topic: Useing fg in veg production  (Read 3221 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Useing fg in veg production
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
downloaded fg lastnight with dialup  :o, well impressed, i am hopeing to use it to me with veg rotation, emailed george on subject and he suggested putting email up for discussion and any further ideas so here goes

Hi George
Thank you for email its not every day that you get a personal email from the developer of any software,

Yes I downloaded flower genie last night, being in rural southern Ireland and as of yet we don?t have broadband, only dial up it took about 11/2 hours to download,

First impressions very impressed with it, and I have registered on your forum, basically I was looking for some sort of software similar to the VGA http://www.thevga.co.uk/index.cgi that I could download first for evaluation, being a smallholder I am more into vegetables and I think I maybe able to use your software for keeping track of vegetables that I grow each year in rotation on 4 different beds, instead of create two gardener records I may be able to create 4 gardener records label them plot 1 plot 2 etc enter vegetables into plot 1 potatoes for instance then next year plot 1 becomes plot 2 with potatoes in and so on, I have probably not explained it all that well but if you look on the vga website you will understand,

Being on a new site and building a house your software will come in very handy for deciding where to put the trees and shrubs etc

I am registered on http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org/index.php
as roiphil and I shall be placing a link for flower genie on the forum in the useful links section, drop by and say hello

Phil

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Useing fg in veg production
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »
Congratulations on downloading Flower Genie (FG) using dial-up!
I didn?t even think it was possible! It started off as a 15mb file, now its grown to something like 26mb, so a challenge for dial-up!!

Thanks for the links Phil. Very interesting indeed, I have to say.
I've had a quick look at VGA, and the forum, and I'll revisit when time allows for an indepth study.

Re your Veg plot and rotation.

There are a number of options, Phil, and we made a start discussing this on the forum.

Its under this thread:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php?topic=228.0
Started by Isabel from Oregon.
The discussion is under Ideas Genie (IG), but since multiple Gardeners and multiple Garden Areas is exactly the same in IG and FG, it is totally relevant.
Member Kew (Ken) living in Belgium, originally from England, is our Fruit and Veg forum moderator. He's also a FG user.

Theres another very important option in FG, IG etc.

You can view multiple databases.
If you explore FG, in action programs, you will see a Data Source pop-up. That?s for looking at other FG databases on same hard disc, Flash (HIGHLY recommended for Genie use) or external drives etc.
Thus, at the end of a season, you can backup the entire database and use this as an external Data Source, and start afresh in your live database.
Simply use the pop-up to look at the "backup" for past growing seasons.

Post the content of your last email on the forum, under FG, Phil.
Its of great general interest, and it will be good to open it up for discussion.

Looking forward to hearing more about your gardening!!