Author Topic: gooseberries  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Gordon

gooseberries
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »
I have been trying to get a decent crop off my gooseberries for some time now...with no success. They put up a large number of blooms which are pollinated and start to develop fine. Then when they reach about the size of an acorn, they gradually turn from green to pink to purple, shrivel and drop off. I have seen no insects attacking and I am at a loss.
This year I am starting 12 new plants in an allotment which has total sunshine...which my own garden does not have, although I would have thought plenty for Gooseberries. The soil will be similar to mine... a glacial till with plenty of rocks around (make good walls, just like home) and I have been adding composted steer manure and composted plant material since last season so I am hopeful, but I would like to know what thetrouble has been so far.
Gordon

Offline Palustris

Re: gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:03:40 AM »
First of all, the size of the fruit is dependent on the amount of water the plant receives during the development of the berry (all other things being normal that is, like strong growing plants and nutrition and weather). In a sandy soil the plants can suffer from drought.
Secondly the colour change in the berries is natural. There are varieties which are not used until the berries are red. Others stay greener longer and we use them slightly underripe. What is hapenening to your fruit is that it is going red (ripe) then as it is not picked purple and finally doing what comes naturally and dropping off.
We collect a fine crop from the wild hedgerow ones on our lane. These, being bird sown, vary considerably in size and time of ripening and colour when edible.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »
Its very good to hear from you again Gordon. I thought we had lost contact.

I bet you wish you were back in the UK?
Hear this! I planted a new Gooseberry bush about 3 or 4 years ago. In its second year, it fruited so heavily, it broke one of the main stems at the base.
I propped that stem up a bit, and the berries ripened and were fine. I had a bumber crop. Really nice Gooseberry jam, goosberry pies etc!!
It just goes on fruiting, so I just havent seen the problem you are having.

Incidentally, I have a wild gooseberry bush in my garden. I may have found it in a hedge (cant remember) as there were a few growing happily when I moved here.
Anyway, to get to the point - the berries are very small, but I really like the taste - even more than my cultivated variety.

I dont know enough about Gosseberries, so I'm pleased to see Eric (Palustris) has posted a reply.
Kew (Ken) may also offer some advice.
Hes also an English exile, living in Belgium. He's currently doing a Horticulture course in Belgium. Its in Dutch of course, and I'm sure that must be a real challenge.
I'll send him an email and see if he has time to look in.

Ive also sent Michael (Gardenexpert) an email to ask for his advice in relation to your Camellia question.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:31:46 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:21:36 AM »
Glad to be back in the land of the garden. 'Been a little busy and now that Spring is getting ready to spring things are getting a little hectic...but I love it. The allotment is coming along very well with the 12 gooseberries planted in a row. I am going to try putting them up as a single stem the way they have them at Wisley. I am hoping the blackcurrants will give back a little this year too. It is very encouraging to know that my gooseberries were normal. It's just that I grew up with plum sized gooseberries...got spoiled I guess. I am also starting to rearrrange my back garden...there are two trees that are looking distinctly dodgy after our wind storm in December and so they are going to have to go before they drop and do some reall damage. Once they are gone I should have room to build my greenhouse, which I have had in a crate ever since we arrived here! I miss working in a greenhouse so much...miss the smell and the atmosphere. I am getting excited.
Good to be back George

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:30:33 AM »
I must admit that my gooseberries were not coddled in any way. They were planted in rather heavy damp soil (it's what was there on the side of a slope where a stream used to run) about all the attention they recieved was an occasional pruning and a check for sawfly (grew up with them and used to use a spray made from Quassia chips soaked overnight in water...worked like a charm) It's good to know that they were normal fruits though. As I told George, I grew up with plum sized fruit which were absolutely delicious straight from the bush and into my mouth...still warm and soo sweet.
I will see what happens this year although I expect nothing from them at all this first year. Thanks fot the information...it is much appreciated.
gordon