Author Topic: Camelias  (Read 3459 times)

Offline JeanV

Camelias
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »
I out my pot grown cameilas in the greenhouse (cold) as i exoected a hard wiNTER AND -13 LIKE last year and I had not got good enough deep enough holes in the clay early in the year. However my cold greenhouse, where we used to live was just that but here in Mid Wales it catches the sun and so I have had sort of desert conditions : one night it was -5 and the next day up really high like mid summer. SO my camelias are flowering <g>

My question is : if i put them outside now I assume they will get caight by frost (if we get any more!!) But next year do I chance planting them? Leave them out? or what?

Offline gardenexpert

Re: Camelias
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
Hi

I grow thosands of Camellias in some 400 varieties and most of them are outside. My advice would be to plant them out around the end of April and leave them outside. They will happily tolerate cold weather. The problem, of course, is the late frosts that can devastate the open blooms. Something that i personally live with. It is most important that where they get planted the soil is slightly ericaceous and that the Camellias are not planted where they are likely to receive early morning sun as this will burn the opening buds and flowers. There is nothing like seeing the first Camellias of the season burting into colour at the beginning of the year.
Happy Camellia growing.

Offline JeanV

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »
Thank you for the advice. I did know about the early morning sun bit. I will plant them out in April. I moved the one that has not yet flowered outside in its pot, but the flowering one I left in the greenhouse/ Our soil is clay but acid and it does go cold here as we are in the country.

I'll let you know how we go on! In Bolton I hardly ever got flowers on them as late frosts were va pretty common happening : so I am enjoying the flowers although they are in the greenhouse!

Thanks again
Jean Vann

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum. 400 varieties of Camellias, most of them growing outside? If I'm not mistaken you live in GB? Where exactly? What's the hardiness zone? Sorry for the numerous questions, but from time to time we are a curious lot ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
Gardenexpert (Michael) is the owner of this business (Imberhorne Lane Nursery) :
http://www.camelliasonline.co.uk/
The Nursery is based in West Sussex, England

He tells me that he propagates the Camellias offered for sale on his web site.

I am currently using Flower Genie and Ideas Genie Pro to create a draft form "Catalog on CD" for Imberhorne.
If Michael agrees, you will be able to get a copy of the CD soon, in draft form.

To use it, you put the CD in the drive, and click the Catalogs tab on the menu, and run program GA040
The procedure is exactly the same on FG as IG Pro.

You will be able to create a Mail order for posting, or click a button to automatically email the supplier for a quote (along the lines of the SEND plants button).

The supplier will have a special IG Pro program to read in your email (much the same in principle as your Get Plants program) and will be able to turn around enquires very quickly, advising shipping costs and availability, recommended substitutes etc.