Author Topic: Gardens on tours  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Lee

• HIgh Desert Rose Garden
Gardens on tours
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:44:36 PM »
I've done it 3 times here in ALbetc. NM...and have mixed emotions....the work to get garden ready was brutal...2 of the tours were for local garden societies and so the crush wasn't that bad...though the garden was open for 6 hours each time...I had 2 rose society people in the garden at all times to help..so I could take breaks...The major opening was for the ARS...this was about 10 years ago...They were having their convention here in Albetc and mine along ith 5 others were on tour...The OGRs was one day...the moderns another day...300 people came through the garden in 3 hours!  HUGE city buses were parked out front..my neighbors had been warned!  Rose society had abouit 6 helpers in the garden to answer questions and be sociable...On the plus side..only one person fell in the fishpond..and had a sense of humor about it...Most of the comments were very favorable..only one person was heard  "why she doesn;t even plant them in rows!"  Rows?  no way!  It is an honor to have your garden open...and if I was 15 years younger...I'd do it all over again....Lee

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Gardens on tours
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:06:52 AM »
Well, good for you Lee! It is indeed an honour to have your garden under the scrutiny of the ARS convention visitors!

I'll post a handy link here so people can visit your web site for a peep at your gorgeous roses.

Heres the photo you sent me. Its a bit tiny, but we can see that pond that the ARS member cooled off in. Was it the person who mentioned "not even in rows" Lee? A gentle nudge, mmmm??
Happens so easily when you squeeze past somebody in a crowded garden Tee hee!

High Desert Rose Garden

and look folk: be sure, be sure...
Be sure to read this

I love that photo! It seems to say "Well, as I was saying..."
Probably said as Joss tried to recover from rolling about on the floor laughing!

What a biography. Lee, you are something else!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:33:03 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 07:42:08 AM »
Lee, you are indeed a brave woman! (And your garden is lovely, and the interview is awesome! ) I have never had my garden on a tour. We had an open house and garden party last summer and the work just about did me in. I had finished putting in a large pond early in the summer, and the neighbors had yet to have a look at our house, which had been extensively remodeled. People came and went all afternoon and I was so busy I didn't have time to visit with any of them. It took me a week to recover. Here's a photo of part of the garden and pond on that day.

Offline Pixydish

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 07:44:52 AM »
Here is one of the pond and greenhouse from the opposite direction. I love my greenhouse. If it were warmer, I would be in it all winter as well as all summer.