Author Topic: Linking photo  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
Linking photo
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:37:55 PM »
Gene here, OK, so I am not good on computers. I just started using FG and learned how to add plants. Got some done and even printed one out. Then I added a photo. I try to print and get "invaled path or file name"  I get a printout with nothing but the plant name and common name in a banner across the top. Please, please, what have I done wrong. All my plant photos are in a file   C:\FG plants. Gene

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: Linking photo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »
I guess Georgewizz will tell you going to look under Preferences FG198 and Photoslocation. In this program you can change the default location of your photos.

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi Greenfinger,Thanks for the quick reply. I thought of that and my FG198 has the following settings. Date=mm-dd-yy  USA.
Language: English
Allow auto resize is checked
When searching for my photos start at=C:\FG Plants
Photo location= C:=harddisk

I really hate to lean on George all the time. He has been a great help to me, but this has me scratching my head. I can print a full data sheet BEFORE I link a photo so I thought it had to be something to do with that. I have kept the programs updated but our propagation nursery has kept me from using it and learning.  We've had lots of Ice & cold the last 2 weeks so now was the time to learn. I wanted to go thru all the lessons one by one. First was "Getting Started-recommendations"  FG198 was no problem. Then I went to FG037 and learned to add a plant. Finally came up with a format I liked in re Latin name, common name and all the data I wanted. FG042 was no problem. FG038 no problem.

The first use of FG030 gave me a really bad photo. Too small and too low a resolution. George explained that to me. Then I tried to link a GOOD photo to a plant I had added. All was OK till I tried to print in FG037. Then I got the bad news, the print takes place if I click ok but all that prints is the heading banner.
Thanks for your input Greenfinger. Enjoy reading your posts.  Gene

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:29 PM »
Hi Gene
Dont hesitate to ask if you are stuck!

The setting in FG198 is really for helping you to add photos quicker - quite simply thats all it does. 
Heres how to use it.
If you have just taken a batch of photos, and you want to link them using FG030, then in preferences, set the value of 
When searching for photos, start at this folder level
to the folder with the photos.
Its for convenience only, and does nothing whatsoever once you have linked a plant to a photo.

Are you using FG037 to print?
If yes, I assume you are getting to the screen FG100S41
In that screen,
1) Make sure your photo is showing
2) make sure Print Photo is checked (its the default setting, so dont touch anything)
3) Click Print

If the photo is large, give it time.

Let me know the steps you are taking is this doesnt help Gene.

Ive just checked my computer and its OK.
I'm running FG037 Version 22 (this udate was posted yesterday)
Did you download this?

If you are still having problems, can you give me some more background.
e.g. How many photos are linked to the plant, the history of the linking.

Another test - Lets try this.
Link a photo to another plant and try printing.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
Printing is a function I hadn't yet used in FG. Now I've tried it out under FG037 (still version 20) and it seems to work as it should on my computer.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:10:16 PM »
I try to print and get "invaled path or file name ....
Gene

Problem solved - Please download FG037-Version 23

It was a bug, caused by an omission when I added new code recently to allow me to ?encapsulate? images in the database, for security when distributing databases.

That?s why newer issues of Flower Genie were able to print, and Genes wasn?t.
With the fix y'all can link away and print away to your hearts content now. (love that y'all word!!)

Encapsulation is not required in normal use. Its an option to consider if you decide to SWAP your database with another member, or if you are a supplier and wish to distribute your Flower Genie database as a Catalog on CD to your customers.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:14:06 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
This is just experimenting. I understood that the maximum size should be 660 pixels maximum but this one is 1024 pixels.

It worked  ;D

Don't get too excited, Spring hasn't come early, this was taken in on April 4th three years ago.

I should add that this has come straight from Flickr copying and pasting the URL

Eric H
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:32:17 PM by Eric Hardy »

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
It's a great photo Eric.  Good composition and nice and sharp.  10 out of 10 in my book. 8)

Although this larger photo works, the reason I mentioned in another post that it should be a maximum of 660 pixels wide for Forum photos, is that you get a scrollbar if it's larger than that.  There's nothing wrong with it Eric (apart from the larger kb size, which could be a problem for users with dial-up connections which makes for a longer time to load the photo) it's just really a personal thing to keep the viewing of photos user-friendly.  I prefer to see a photo in one area of the screen without having to scroll about to see it all.  I think at 660 pixels you can still get a large, good quality photo.

A good experiment, so which size do you personally prefer?

Laurie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:01:32 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
Thanks for your kind remarks Laurie  :D

I really am happy with them smaller too, I was just playing around. Here it is at 500 pixels wide, which is quite adequate. I think your 660 pixels wide is a very good size but I have to re-size my pictures to do that, this way I can take them straight off Flickr

[

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »
Yes Eric, that size works really well.

I really am impressed with your photographic skills, which displays your flowers in their finest possible detail.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
Thank you very much Laurie. Photography is a great hobby of mine. I spend a lot of time photographing parish churches too, inside and out.

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »
Well Eric, we have a Photography section on the Forum so I for one would be interested to hear how you got started on the subject.  Are you self-trained, had professional coaching, or just naturally gifted.  ;D  Also, what sort of camera equipment do you use.

If you have a look at the section here - http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/board,152.0.html, then this would be a good place to carry on this discussion by starting a new thread.

Under the topics of Pentax and Nikon Cameras and Nikon D60 - My New Little Baby you will see here how I got started in photography, the equipment I use, and how useful it's become since Kathy and I got into gardening.

It's so pleasing to be able to share the love of plants to our members, by presenting photographs of them.

Laurie.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:18:28 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
Thanks Laurie, I will do that. Right now I am off to bed.

Goodnight  ;)

Eric H

NightHawk

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
Goodnight Eric - pleasant dreams.  ;)

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
I am feeling rather upset  >:(. One of my pleasures used to be uploading photos to the forum. I did this by copying and pasting an URL from Flickr. In the past I would use something in this form http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/3586233991_6aeac3d3a6.jpg which when placed between the "insert image" formula would produce this

Flickr gave itself a face lift and the only alternatives it gives me for this picture is a long HTML/BBCode

or this: -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichardyuk/3586233991/in/set-72157614755307033/

Neither of these when placed between the "insert image" formula produces an image.

clicking on http://www.flickr.com/photos/erichardyuk/3586233991/in/set-72157614755307033/ will link you to the image but that is not the same.

Any ideas please?

From a frustrated  >:( Eric  >:(