Author Topic: Not sitting round  (Read 234 times)

barryl and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Palustris

Re: Not sitting round
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 04:01:53 pm »
Only managed to remove one stump today, but it was a big awkward one with mahoosive roots. Fortunately the base of the tree was beginning to rot so the ones going straight down snapped easily once we got it so that we could push it over. Removed all the branches from the next stump, so tomorrow we should be able to get it out. There is an awful lot of brash to shred though. This last stump is not that big, but the soil round it seems to have been used to dump all the small stones from the garden, so digging may be a bit of a problem. However, I can use the stones when I make the next alpine growing feature.

Online Palustris

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 04:12:11 pm »
Well that is the final conifer stump removed. The stones were in a layer at the surface so once we removed them it was not too hard to clear the roots. The stump was rotting at the base, like a lot of them have been so not too hard to remove. The brash will need to dry out for a while before I shred it. The resin in it makes it very 'sticky' when it goes through the shredder and it blocks.
We have removed 20 stumps from this hedge row. (And at least seven from elsewhere in the garden and perhaps a dozen from the bottom hedge.).
Nothing much more we can do until the Fencing people come and put up the new fence.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2020, 07:19:55 pm »
I take it that you dug those stumps out manually?
You must have unbounded energy Eric.

I'm sure you are looking forward to planning and planting out your alpine beds :D
We look forward to photos of that!

Online Palustris

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 08:24:54 pm »
There is no other way of removing the stumps othe than by digging round the roots, cutting them with the chain saw and good old brute force. It has taken about 6 weeks to clear them from the top hedge. Worst part is still to come in that the stumps themselves need to be disposed of. Once the local re-cycling place is not as busy I will take them there, two at a time as they are rather heavy.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 11:49:59 am »
Look at the bright side - you have exposed a very large area of your new garden  :)
That must have been a very pleasing sight.
Next to complete the transformation from the unsightly to the beautiful :D

Online Palustris

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 04:36:02 pm »
Fence people booked in for next month. Price is about what we expected and budgeted for . Need to finish digging over that bed, cut back the conifers which we are leaving in and shred the brash so they can get on with it, 20 foot run of conifers belong to neighbour so they have stopped in and the fence will go inside them, right up to the trunks. He can have the pleasure of keeping his side trimmed.

Online Palustris

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 08:16:52 pm »
Finished digging the bed next to where the fence will be. Shredded all the brash. Everything ready for them to begin.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 01:42:21 pm »
You need a rest after all that hard work Eric :D

Online Palustris

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 11:34:14 am »
Am sitting round today.
Created a path across the Drive side bed yesterday so that we can reach the Holly hedge for maintainance. I would like to extend the path along the side of the hedge, but we have run out of bricks for the edging. Since I made the path as much to use up a lot of bricks it seems a bit silly to go out and buy more,so  will have to think again.