Author Topic: Not sitting round  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Palustris

Not sitting round
« on: April 25, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
We have been doing some work on the new garden.
We removed part of a Leylandii hedge. This is the brash from it
Going, going, gone.

And this is where it has gone to.

The branches and stumps were also cut up and stacked. A neighbour will have the logs when they have dried out and when the Lockdown is over.

Going

Going

Going

Gone

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Not sitting round
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
Oh my goodness, gracious me :o

Did you do that on your own Eric????? :o
You one very fit guy and all neatly stacked.
I presume you are handy with a chain saw??
I am SO impressed. How long did it take you? How tall was it?

That's going to keep somebody's home fie burning for a LONG time ;D

You'll sleep tonight Eric:D

I hate Leylandii hedges with a passion,
I have a Leylandii Castlewellan Gold hedge all the way along the length of our property. Its is a nightmare. SUPER FAST growing. I cut it over the winter months, filling a recycle bin in each session. It sure keeps me warm on a cold
day! After a couple of months it looks like it needs clipped again (I never have time to do that in summer!) and by winter it has 2 to 3 ft growth in most places,

Now, your solution? I LIKE that!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:26:04 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
At the bottom of the garden was a 40 feet long, 12 foot high Leylandii hedge. It has gone. Most of that went to the re-cycling yard. Car load, after car load.
This is what it was like.

All cut back  Stumps  needed removing and the cut material needed shredding.

We left the ones nearest to the drive for the moment for security. We removed them when we had a date for fencing. The length of the piece is about 14 metres. It gives us another 2 metres of garden behind the shed and the greenhouse base.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »
And more images,

The new fence.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:49:14 PM by Palustris »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
Is that your property on both sides of the new fence?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
No, that fence is along side the communal drive.
The boss and I did all the work on the cutting down, shredding, cutting up and stacking. We work together very well. Been using a chain saw for the last 30 years. They scare the living daylights out of me , so I am extremely careful with it.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »
This is the section we have cleared for the next length of fence. The neighbour is as pleased as us to get rid of the hedge. He is finiding it increasingly hard to trim it.

I cut away the dwad stuff on our side.

The tree in this corner was dead and it came down with no effort.

Part cleared. We leave a good 4 feet of stump to use as a lever to get the roots out.

Cleared.

I painted the side of neighbours Car port as once the fence is up he would not be able to access it.

Some of the removed stumps.

Leaves his garden a bit open to us, but nothing much I can do about that except put in some shade netting.

Final section. We have left the stumps in here until we can get the fencing company in.

Someone approved.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »
My goodness, Eric, you have been busy. I am back again after being quiet for a few years.  Those Leylandii are a menace, people put them in because they are quick growing and by golly they are.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 03:10:37 PM »
What we find odd is that our neighbour is keen to have this hedge out and replaced with a fence because he finds cutting them so difficult, yet he has Leylandii all round the rest of his garden.
I am slightly allergic to conifer resin so getting rid is more than necessary.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »
He probably hoped you would volunteer to do the Leylandii all round the rest of his garden ;D

Offline Palustris

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 08:18:03 PM »
He will have a long wait!

Offline barryl

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
My ex-neighbour (a grumpy and unsociable couple) planed 4 leylandii on our shared boundary. When they left (hooray!) a nice young couple with 1.5 children moved in (they now have 3); quite early on they removed 2 of the dread trees, and I knocked on their door to thank them. "Oh goodness, she said, I suppose we should have asked first" (shows how nice she is....); I explained that I came in to bless them! They are lovely neighbours - and have removed the other two as well....

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
Lucky you Barry!

The top of my garden is invaded by very much unwanted delights from the two neighbours who back on to our fence.

One is Populus gileadensis 'Aurora'. They call it the Hankerchief tree It may look like it but it most certainly is not.
That one has very invasive root system. It has spread under the fence and into my garden. Have to get rid of its suckers when I see them. The lady lost her husband a few years ago and she hired someone to prune it. A large branch fell into our garden and they left it for me to deal with. I was just glad to see it lying flat(ish) instead of upright!
Next, a honeysuckle. Beautiful when it flower, but in winter I fill a wheelie bin with the tangle of growth left behind.
The most annoying is some spiny invasive variety of Raspberry. It is all over my side of the garden fence. Then it started spreading down the hedge and grows merrily through my beloved Castlewellan Gold hedge (yes, Leylandii) and is within a few feet of my own well behaved Raspberry bed.
The other neighbour had a variegated Ivy on the fence. It made its way to my side. I hate the stuff so I keep removing it when it appears.
Gardening = Man versus nature. Nature usually wins ;D

Offline barryl

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »
Dont start me on ivy..... The same awful neighbours put in a lot and of course it is impossible to eliminate.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
You have only seen the conifers from the edge of the garden. We also removed them from the interior as well.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 12:38:41 PM »
We also removed them from the interior as well
You are a champion Eric. :)

I hope you don't have a hedge near that Ivy Barry.
Hedges are great when they are small. Over here, the Ivy comes from nowhere and infests any hedge I have which is about 10 years or more. Its making its way into my beautiful Leylandii hedge. There is a good side - the birds love it for shelter and build their nests in it.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
From last year. This was a very dead stump with various self sown tree seedlings in and around it. There was also a very poor conifer in the way too.

The stump was very rotten and collapsed while I was clearing the weeds away.

The Laurel was a self seeded one too.

The roots of the tree had rotted away so it was easy to turn it over

It just fell to pieces.

It filled a few boxes and bags.

All cleared away and the hole raked over.

Replaced the conifer with a Magnolia lilacifolia rubra.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »
Again from last year.
A day in the life of a garden.

The stump at the end is dead. I leant on it and it came out, very nice.

Another stump removed, the conifers trimmed so that we can clear out the Ivy and Bindweed underneath. Eventually all three of the conifers will be cut down.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
From this last March to

This.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »
Pieris Bed

At the top of the garden on the South side of the house was a huge bed of Pieris.

Next to it was the remains of a bed with a huge tree stump at one end. The stump was too big to remove. So I dug it over.

It seemed more sensible to remove the Pieris and make a bigger bed.

It was easier than I thought as the shrubs had fairly thin branches.

That still left the roots to be removed. I marked out the size of the bed we wanted.

Then I began the task of digging out the roots. Again easier than I had feared. The roots were fairly shallow and the soil quite soft.

The branches and roots I took to the recycling yard.

I marked out the shape of the bed with a lawn edging turf and began removing the turf.

The turf was stacked elsewhere to turn into top soil. The bed did not take long to clear.

I began to dig it over. Very soon I found a lot of large roots from the felled tree. These I removed.

It did take a few days to dig it over as there were some very thick roots which had to be cut out. Eventually it was done.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 01:57:58 AM »
Goodness, so much work!  I thought we'd done quite a lot of tree pruning recently but nothing quite as extensive as you.  I guess we have all been tending our gardens for so long now that this time has sneaked up upon us.  I still can't quite believe that our walnut tree was once a tiny seedling in a yoghurt pot which I bought at a village fete in the eighties,  We too have a small run of leylandii hedge which we have been trying to get back down to a manageable height, and  a lonicera nitida hedge which , like me, had fattened rather too much over the years and is being brought back into a slimmer and trim  shape.  As regards chain saws, when we bought ours years ago , it was via a very entrepeneurial young lad in one of my teacher husban's classes.  he was such a good saleman that he also got us to buy the relevant safety kit and Rog now always dons his special chainsaw trousers which makes me feel slightly less apprehensive when they are out cutting.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »
The biggest problem we have after removing the Leylandii and the other over grown conifers, is the roots left behind. Taken all afternoon to lay two paving slabs. All because of the roots under the grass of the 'lawn'. They are like steel hawsers.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
I bet you sleep well at night Eric :D
I am amazed at the work you do there.
You've turned a nightmare created by your predecessor into a beautiful design.
Keep up the good work 8) I look forward to the planting stage and seeing that develop.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 08:31:01 PM »
The Fencing contractor came and measured up. 42 metres of fence. Sheeesh. That is going to cost well ove £2,000. BUT it has to be done and there is no way we can do it. The gravel boards are just too heavy for us these days. AND, they will only deliver to the bottom of the drive so we would have to carry them 50 or so metres up to the back of the garden. The fencing chaps can get their vehicle almost up to the top of the garden s no problem for them.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Taken out three more conifer stumps. There was a stone inside one of the roots so it blunted the chain saw blade. Too tired to change the blade, so we packed in for the day.