Author Topic: Asterisk by BankDate  (Read 3962 times)

Offline JohnD5314

Asterisk by BankDate
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
A problem has arisen recently that I hope someone can help me with.

On statement 999997 - where I enter all new transactions - I have am seeing an asterisk next to the BankDate. This is on all transactions both before and after the current date. When I receive a bank statement I exclude all transactions not on that statement, and reconcile the rest.

My problem is that I can only exclude transactions if there is no asterisk (i.e. if the BankDate if before the current date). How do I get rid of the asterisks so I can reconcile my statements, please?

This has only happened over the last couple of months, prior to that it worked perfectly.

The system date is correct and I am current with updates. I have PRO6+Inv.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Asterisk by BankDate
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »
Hi John and welcome to the forum!

A number of things to explain here.

1. RE:
On statement 999997 - where I enter all new transactions
In all versions of Bank Genie you can enter transactions in 999997.
However, the idea is that you should enter transactions in the last statement - i.e. NOT 999997 but the one being reconciled.

2. RE:
I have am seeing an asterisk next to the BankDate
2a)
In 999997, the Statement date is made invisible.
Reason? you don't reconcile 999997.
As you say, all transactions in 999997 are prefixed with an asterisk.
The asterisks can be ignored.
2b)
You cant use the Exclude button in 999997.
Reason? the transactions in 999997 are already Excluded!
When reconciling a statement, the Exclude button is used in the last (always unreconciled) statement to move uncleared transactions to statement 999997.
2c)
You CAN use the Include button in 999997 to move transactions from 999997 into the last statement - the one being reconciled.

3. Re:
My problem is that I can only exclude transactions if there is no asterisk (i.e. if the BankDate if before the current date).
You need to get into the Last Statement (i.e. the one being reconciled) to be able to use the Exclude button.
When you are in the last statement (NOT 999997) you can exclude ANY transaction listed - both transactions WITH an asterisk and transactions WITHOUT an asterisk.

Does that help?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:46:10 PM by ideasguy »

Offline JohnD5314

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi.

Yes it does, thank you.

I had an incorrect statement date on an earlier statement which meant I hadn't actually reconciled the previous statement. Consequently the transactions were in 999997 when, as you say, they should have been in the next unreconciled statement. Dates now changed, statements reconciled, and all is well.

Great product (when I use it properly!) - thank you.

John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
Good work John.

You mentioned Bank Dates. May I ask, have you set your preferences to record both Transaction Date and Bank Date for each transaction?
The default setting in Bank Genie is to enter one date - the transaction date. The user has to go into Preferences to change the setting I need to record both Transaction Date and Bank Date if they wish to also record the Bank Date (the date the transaction actually registers on your Bank Account).

Initially, I developed that feature in Bank Genie for my own requirements.
I don't think that feature was available in MS Money or Quicken.
Back then cheques were in vogue and there could be a few days delay before a cheque to a supplier actually reached my Bank Account. That is still the case today but I rarely use cheques.
In the more modern era, an ATM transaction on a Saturday or Sunday shows on my statement as the following Mondays date.
Also transactions to and from Paypal can have a delay. My business account shows up to 5 days delay from a transaction (a Sale) to the date it appears in our merchant account.

Your comments make very encouraging reading John, thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:20:17 PM by ideasguy »

Offline JohnD5314

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »
Sorry this has taken a little while to get back to you.

I call the column BankDate - but in actual fact I enter the date I made the transaction so I guess I should change the heading for the column. In reality transactions come through pretty quickly so there is no material difference.

Thanks for your help

John

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »
I recommend that ALL Bank Genie users keep the display Order to Bank Date in screen BS421S01.

I was actually enquiring if you were using the double dates type data entry (available in both Bank Genie 6 and the Pro 6 versions).
In Preferences, when you choose I need to use both Transaction dates and Bank Dates then you get an extra date field in the data entry screen BS421S03.
You can see both dates in this screenshot:-
http://www.bankgenie.net/UserGuide-BankGenie6/bs421s03-15-bankdatebuttons.gif

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:53:50 PM by ideasguy »

Offline JohnD5314

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »
Sorry, I didn't get what you were after. No, I am only using the single date.

John