Author Topic: New buttons  (Read 1788 times)

Offline ContraOboe

New buttons
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
Can somebody please tell me what the new arrow buttons are for in Manage Transactions (BGP6) as they do nothing for me except make the 'C' button smaller. I have looked on the help pages but they are not mentioned as far as I can see, neither are they on the screen shots.

I've tried to upload an image twice but I get Cannot access attachments upload path!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New buttons
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
I presume you mean the little up and down arrows (green arrows on black background) below the Not C button?

They are Shuffle buttons.
They only work on transactions with the same date.

This feature is available in Bank Genie 6 AND in Bank Genie Pro 6

Their purpose?
Example 1
You have a number of transactions on the same date.
When you get your statement (or check online) and the sequence is not the same as you have entered them in Bank Genie, then you use the Shuffle buttons to get them in the correct order.
This makes the running balance match exactly.

Example 2
Useful if you have transferred money from a savings account to a current account to pay a bill, both with the same effective date. You want the credit to appear before the debit.
Use the Shuffle buttons to achieve that arrangement.

I'd like to hear user comments about that. Do you find it useful?

Attachments
I need to check that out.
Things have been upset badly with the recent changes made by our website service provider.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:48:54 PM by ideasguy »

Offline ContraOboe

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
Oh I see - I've tried it now. The C with an arrow can be used during statement checking to raise the transaction and place a C next to it. Useful, George.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »
Yes indeed Colin! I omitted to explain that one.
You are quite correct. Again, it works ONLY when you have a number of transactions with the same Bank date.

It was designed in response to a request from a customer who uses Bank Genie for the accounts of a Charity.
He had a large number of subscriptions coming into the Bank Account on the same day each month.
Each subscription was set up as a Standing Order in Bank Genie.
Reconciling (checking against a statement or online) was difficult.  Using the C (cleared) and Shuffle up button he was able to reconcile as follows:
Look at Statement and read off the subscriber whose subscription appears first.
Find Subscription in Bank Genie and click the C/Shuffle up button.
This moved the Bank Genie transaction to the top of the list for that date.
Read off second subscriber in Bank Statement.
Find Subscribers transaction in Bank Genie and click the C/Shuffle up button.
This moved the Bank Genie transaction to second place in the listing for that date.
etc etc.
If a subscription was not received for that month, that transaction(s) would follow the ordered list of C(cleared) transactions - i.e. at the bottom of the list in Bank Genie for that date.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:58:22 PM by ideasguy »