Author Topic: Adding an investment  (Read 2373 times)

Offline photonut

• Corfe Mullen Dorset Weather
Adding an investment
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
Is it possible when adding an investment transaction (screen BS431S02) to include another box so that expenses could be split into commission and stamp duty or am I missing something?

Mike

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Adding an investment
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
Hi Mike

1 Commission
Bank Genie Pro 6 does already allow you to record Commission in BS431S02 when you choose a BUY or SELL action type.
What action type are you thinking of?

2. Capital Gains Tax
When you choose a BUY option, Bank Genie Pro 6 presents a screen to allow you to calculate Capital Gains amount.
With FIFO etc I was fascinated by how it was calculated so it was a fun feature to develop :D
Have you tried it?

2. Stamp Duty
Ive found this document which explains Stamp Duty when buying shares:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-on-shares
I studied a number of other Personal Finance/Money programs when developing the Investments program.
Ive had a quick review and don't see any mention of Stamp Duty.
You used Microsoft Money previously.
Was that an option when adding transactions? If yes, can you send me a screenshot of one such transaction?

Did you have to pay Stamp Duty directly to HMRC or was it included in the commission you paid to your broker?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:43:48 PM by ideasguy »

Offline photonut

• Corfe Mullen Dorset Weather
Re: Adding an investment
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
Hi George

1) Commission.  On purchase of a share through my broker the contract shows the brokers commission plus the stamp duty (collected by them on behalf of HMRC). There is no duty payable when a share is sold. It is no problem for me to total these charges and enter them in the commission box in Bank Genie Pro 6  but I was hoping there was a way to keep the total of the two expenses separate out of interest and for statistical purposes.
2) Capital gains tax. I haven't tried this section of Bank Genie pro 6 but it is on my list to sort out.
3) I did not use Microsoft Money to track investments because I did not find it particularly user friendly in that department. I just kept records of bank accounts ,savings accounts,cash ISA's credit cards and the like. I tracked investments with separate software that also gave CGT calculations. That is why I was so pleased when I discovered Bank Genie Pro 6 because it meant I could record all my financial data in one programme rather than having to flit between two separate ones. The investment program will not let me print a screen shot of a stock purchase but basically it consists of a list of boxes arranged vertically with the following titles from the top down;

Transaction Type ,Number of shares, price per share,charges, stamp duty, total, date, time, notes, non cash transaction (tick box).

Hope this information helps but not to give too much attention to it, it is just an extra refinement and me being lazy!

Mike
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:56:44 PM by photonut »