Bank Genie > General discussion

Tagging multiple transactions with the same category

(1/2) > >>

michaelfairburn:
Hi guys,

Back to using bank genie after a break of a couple of years, and was pleased to see v6, which I upgraded to today. I'm creating a new account from bank download and wanted to know whether it was possible to tag multiple transactions with the same category, rather than having to go through a year's worth of transactions to tag each one individually.

Mike

ideasguy:
Hi Mike

Thank you for upgrading to Bank Genie Pro 6

Yes - a new feature added to Bank Genie Pro 6 allows mass editing of transactions.
Using the Transaction Analyser-BS408 program, the user can now mass edit transactions and apply:-
a) a common Category to a selected group of transactions
b) a common Paid To/Received from description to a selected group of transactions
c) a common Transaction Details to a selected group of transactions.
d) a common Tag to a selected group of transactions

The user has to select a group of transactions to work with.
There are a number of ways to do that.
1) You can use the Search button and get to screen BS408S06
2) You can right click on a transaction and select Analyse selected Category and get to screen BS408S02
3) You can right click on a transaction and select Analyse selected Tag and get to screen BS408S10
Each of the 3 landing pages have a Mass Edit button

Explain by one example. Lets say I wish to apply a Tag to a group of transactions within a category.
I use the Transaction Analyser-BS408 program, right click on a transaction with the required category and select Analyse selected Category and get to screen BS408S02.
In that screen I can select and multi-select transactions to refine the list of transactions I wish to mass edit.
I then click the Mass Edit button and get to screen BS100S06.
In that screen I click the Edit tag checkbox and double click on a Tag which I wish to apply to the group of transactions which I have isolated.
I then click on the Apply Changes button.

Play with the other options.

Developing that was a lot of fun!!
You can thank BarryL for suggesting and testing that feature.

michaelfairburn:
Hi George, greetings from New Zealand.

Thanks for this, I would never have found it :) I searched the help files but nothing came up.

Now I've been using it for a day, some observations:

- It would be nice to have a 'Select All' function on BS408S06.
 - A 'Create New Category/Sub-Category' would be useful on BS100S06. If I find that I don't have a suitable category, I click on the 'Category' menu item, which closes down all the other screens. This means that I have to start again in the Transaction Analyser, re-setting the dates and searching again (why is the date picker so slow to move between months?)
 - Why does the cursor move from one field to another when I reach the end of a field, I expect it to stop, not move to the next field. That's what the TAB button is for :)
 - In screen BS420S02, which I click on the drop-down, my scroll wheel does not have any effect on the drop-down menu. Is this normal for the language you're using? This works in BS416S02
 - In screen BS416S02 it is normal to be able to double-click on an entry and have it transfer to the opposite side. This screen requires 2 actions to achieve the same thing (and a mouse move)

More feedback as I get further into it :)

Great work on v6 by the way, a real improvement on v5

Mike

barryl:
re "select all" - that would indeed be an excellent feature which is on the list of improvements I have sent to george some time back.

Meanwhile what I do to select all is to search for all transactions with value greater than zero.  Works a treat!

ideasguy:
I'm working on another set of Bank Genie changes at present.
When finished, I will provide:-
1. Select All in BS408S06. (also in BS408S10 and BS408S02 - the other screens with mass edit options)
2. A 'Create New Category/Sub-Category' on BS100S06

RE:

--- Quote ---Why does the cursor move from one field to another when I reach the end of a field, I expect it to stop, not move to the next field.
--- End quote ---
Where are you seeing that?
Normally in Bank Genie the cursor WILL stop when you enter too much data for the field size (at the last character).
In actual fact - some users have complained about that feature!

RE:

--- Quote ---In screen BS420S02, which I click on the drop-down, my scroll wheel does not have any effect on the drop-down menu.
--- End quote ---
When I click into the Income/Expenditure popup/dropdown in BS420S02 (its the only popup in that screen) and use the mousewheel, the popup options roll (as I expected).

RE:

--- Quote ---why is the date picker so slow to move between months?)
--- End quote ---
I'm shocked. Its instantaneous with me.
Anyone else seeing what Mike is seeing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version