Author Topic: Tagging multiple transactions with the same category  (Read 2293 times)

Offline michaelfairburn

• Black & White Associates Ltd
Tagging multiple transactions with the same category
« on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »
Hi guys,

Back to using bank genie after a break of a couple of years, and was pleased to see v6, which I upgraded to today. I'm creating a new account from bank download and wanted to know whether it was possible to tag multiple transactions with the same category, rather than having to go through a year's worth of transactions to tag each one individually.

Mike

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Tagging multiple transactions with the same category
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
Hi Mike

Thank you for upgrading to Bank Genie Pro 6

Yes - a new feature added to Bank Genie Pro 6 allows mass editing of transactions.
Using the Transaction Analyser-BS408 program, the user can now mass edit transactions and apply:-
a) a common Category to a selected group of transactions
b) a common Paid To/Received from description to a selected group of transactions
c) a common Transaction Details to a selected group of transactions.
d) a common Tag to a selected group of transactions

The user has to select a group of transactions to work with.
There are a number of ways to do that.
1) You can use the Search button and get to screen BS408S06
2) You can right click on a transaction and select Analyse selected Category and get to screen BS408S02
3) You can right click on a transaction and select Analyse selected Tag and get to screen BS408S10
Each of the 3 landing pages have a Mass Edit button

Explain by one example. Lets say I wish to apply a Tag to a group of transactions within a category.
I use the Transaction Analyser-BS408 program, right click on a transaction with the required category and select Analyse selected Category and get to screen BS408S02.
In that screen I can select and multi-select transactions to refine the list of transactions I wish to mass edit.
I then click the Mass Edit button and get to screen BS100S06.
In that screen I click the Edit tag checkbox and double click on a Tag which I wish to apply to the group of transactions which I have isolated.
I then click on the Apply Changes button.

Play with the other options.

Developing that was a lot of fun!!
You can thank BarryL for suggesting and testing that feature.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:06:10 AM by ideasguy »

Offline michaelfairburn

• Black & White Associates Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:59 AM »
Hi George, greetings from New Zealand.

Thanks for this, I would never have found it :) I searched the help files but nothing came up.

Now I've been using it for a day, some observations:

- It would be nice to have a 'Select All' function on BS408S06.
 - A 'Create New Category/Sub-Category' would be useful on BS100S06. If I find that I don't have a suitable category, I click on the 'Category' menu item, which closes down all the other screens. This means that I have to start again in the Transaction Analyser, re-setting the dates and searching again (why is the date picker so slow to move between months?)
 - Why does the cursor move from one field to another when I reach the end of a field, I expect it to stop, not move to the next field. That's what the TAB button is for :)
 - In screen BS420S02, which I click on the drop-down, my scroll wheel does not have any effect on the drop-down menu. Is this normal for the language you're using? This works in BS416S02
 - In screen BS416S02 it is normal to be able to double-click on an entry and have it transfer to the opposite side. This screen requires 2 actions to achieve the same thing (and a mouse move)

More feedback as I get further into it :)

Great work on v6 by the way, a real improvement on v5

Mike

Offline barryl

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:42:53 PM »
re "select all" - that would indeed be an excellent feature which is on the list of improvements I have sent to george some time back.

Meanwhile what I do to select all is to search for all transactions with value greater than zero.  Works a treat!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
I'm working on another set of Bank Genie changes at present.
When finished, I will provide:-
1. Select All in BS408S06. (also in BS408S10 and BS408S02 - the other screens with mass edit options)
2. A 'Create New Category/Sub-Category' on BS100S06

RE:
Why does the cursor move from one field to another when I reach the end of a field, I expect it to stop, not move to the next field.
Where are you seeing that?
Normally in Bank Genie the cursor WILL stop when you enter too much data for the field size (at the last character).
In actual fact - some users have complained about that feature!

RE:
In screen BS420S02, which I click on the drop-down, my scroll wheel does not have any effect on the drop-down menu.
When I click into the Income/Expenditure popup/dropdown in BS420S02 (its the only popup in that screen) and use the mousewheel, the popup options roll (as I expected).

RE:
why is the date picker so slow to move between months?)
I'm shocked. Its instantaneous with me.
Anyone else seeing what Mike is seeing?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:14:08 PM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
Instantaneous for me too