Author Topic: Backups - Bank Genie, Ideas Genie, Flower Genie  (Read 2747 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Backups - Bank Genie, Ideas Genie, Flower Genie
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
In light of the current international cyber attack incident its pretty obvious that computer data is at risk.

Backups TO A PORTABLE  EXTERNAL DEVICE are essential, so I'd like to explain my recommendations.

1. Portable External Devices
Flash drives, or Memory sticks are low cost and the most common.
For large amounts of data (e.g. photos) you will need a larger storage device.
I use a Samsung M3 Slimline 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/s29/Samsung-Slimline-USB-3-0-Portable-Hard-Drive/B008PABFX8
Heres an alternative:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtor-Slimline-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B01AJWNYLA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
This fits easily into my pocket - everywhere I go.
I also have a similar device which is refreshed regularly and kept elsewhere.

a) Doing a backup. Using Bank Genie as an example.
Make a folder on your external device. Call it (anything will do)  Bank Genie Backup.
b) Start Bank Genie.
Under the File tab, use the program Backup-BS491
In the initial screen (BS421S01) Click the Get a folder button and get to screen BS491S03.
Click Get a folder to find the folder you have created on the external device.
Fill out the details to create your Data Location Record.
(You only have to do this once. Next time, the Data Location Record will be available for quick selection).
Click Step 3-Test and Continue to complete your backup

Remove your external device from the computer.
Be sure to use the Safely Remove feature.
If not sure how to do that, shut your computer down as normal, then remove the device.
Note: Some viruses can jump from your computer to other computers and devices.
Your data is safe when removed.

4. If a serious incident has occurred, the software may be re-installed, either from CD or from a download.

5. Restoring your data
Under the File tab on the menu, use the Restore program.
Its the same idea on all our Genie software.

Finally, the most common cause of data loss is a disc crash. The above measures will also protect you from that.
Using the Backup program provided in Bank Genie, Ideas Genie Pro 6, Bonsai Genie 6 or Flower Genie is a sure guarantee that your live data is located and saved correctly.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:38:27 AM by ideasguy »

Offline barryl

Re: Backups - Bank Genie, Ideas Genie, Flower Genie
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »
Good advice George!

I am lucky enough to have a laptop and desktop at home and a laptop at work in a separate building. I always make sure my personal files are copied and up to date on all three computers so that I have off computer and off site backups are well (and not just of Bank Genie data but all my personal stuff).

Being paranoid I do other things as well, for example taking weekly and monthly backups to an external medium but I wouldnt say that was a critical action, unlike taking regular backups to a memory stick as George suggests.

The other really critical activity is to:

A) never run out of date and unmaintained software: for example, Windows XP or WIndows Vista as Microsoft will not supply security fixes for them

B) Always apply "Important updates" - ideally (assuming you are running Windows) have "Windows Update" set to the default (download and install important updates) so that you are automatically kept up to date.

So far as the recent "ransomeware" attack is concerned sticking to this policy (up to date software with all patches applied) would have protected you from attack.

If you were running out of date software, having the backups means that (painful though it is!) you could wipe your computer, reinstall the operating system, and copy back your data from backups (or get your friendly local PC maintainer to that for you).

I hope no one on this list was affected!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Backups - Bank Genie, Ideas Genie, Flower Genie
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
Thank you for posting that advice Barry :)