Author Topic: Chenies Manor, Buckinghamshire  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Chenies Manor, Buckinghamshire
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:44:36 PM »
Tulip time at Chenies Manor.
Chenies Manor in Buckinghamshire, is a Tudor Grade I listed building once known as Chenies Palace, although it was never a royal seat nor the seat of a bishop. It was owned by the Cheyne family, who were granted the manorial rights in 1180, and passed by marriage to the Russell family in 1526.
John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford set about improving the house both as his home and enlarging it to the size and standard needed to house the royal court, so he could host visits from the king. The house was probably constructed by him around 1530-1550, while the significantly larger north range, which included the royal apartments, has been demolished. Russell had a meteoric career as an advisor to successive monarchs, becoming wealthy and titled and acquiring other properties. By about 1608 Woburn Abbey had become the principal family residence. Thereafter Chenies became increasingly neglected, the surviving buildings are the ones which were still considered practical.
At the northern end of the west wing, there is an undercroft from the previous medieval manor house which occupied the same site, which is a scheduled ancient monument.
The gardens, famous for their tulips, are promoted by the Campaign to Protect Rural England.

A few shots of the house.

A pavilion

An outbuilding

And now for the tulips, I took so many photos, 170 in all but I will confine myself to a dozen to give the flavour.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:14:08 AM by Eric Hardy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Chenies Manor, Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this Eric.
I like to read up on history in my rare periods of spare time and the periods you have described are fascinating stuff!

I love the architectural photos you have posted (as always :D). The Tulip photos are simply excellent.
Ive posted a PM with a request.