Author Topic: No dig (Clearing & Planting)  (Read 1711 times)

Offline no ideas man

No dig (Clearing & Planting)
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:54:03 AM »
Hi George & fellow members
                                        I have not added much to the posts this last couple of months simply because sept to dec are busy months in the garden in previous posts I said my intention was to try the no dig method well it is working quite well at the moment had some very nice veg.At the present time the bed I am using to try the no dig method is about 10" deep and is a pleasure to work, I have just cleared the same and have begun to plant Tulip bulbs & minature daffs. On the subject of Tulips have any members left them in the ground with what results, if you read gardening books you will be told to lift the bulbs dry them out and replant the next season as I am expecting to plant around 300 I don't really want to lift them when they have finished flowering any ideas would be very helpful.

Harry

No Ideas Man

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: No dig (Clearing & Planting)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:43:12 PM »
From memory, I recall reading that the reason for lifting Tulips is to allow them to dry out over summer (and rest  ?)
In Netherlands (Greenfinger may comment) the soil is very well drained - light and sandy - so tulips do well there.

I imagine the best chance they have in the UK is to plant them in very well drained beds.
My garden is fairly well drained. Heavy rain causes waterlogging, naturally, but it can be gone in half a day. I've had tulips survive a few seasons, but they come up in reduced numbers and finally disappear. They never naturalise and spread like daffs.

I'd be very interested to learn how they do in different regions of US from our members.