Author Topic: Errors Identified with Health Check  (Read 2992 times)

Offline AnthonyM

Errors Identified with Health Check
« on: June 01, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
Today I identified a problem where the forecast on the Home screen showed that a credit would correctly be added to one of my bank accounts on the 3rd June. However, when I open the transaction window for the account there is no entry shown for the 3rd. Having tried deleting the automatic Direct Debit, reprocessing on different date and to another account the transaction still doesn't show up. The Direct Debithas been active since 2014 and has been processed each month without any problems.

I decided to run the "Health Check" and this identifies 3 errors the original DD and the two attempts made to see if the entry would appear in a different account and on a different day. The 3 errors have error code 8. Is there a way of deleting these erroneous errors? If I run "Health Check" with the Fix Anomalies box checked no errors seem to be identified.

I've also tried deleting the DD and setting up a new one and the same thing happens, producing a 4th error on Health Check. The DD is a credit occurring every 4 weeks with no end date.

I'm using Bank Genie Pro 5

Help

Anthony
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:07:01 AM by AnthonyM »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Errors Identified with Health Check
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »
Please send me an email with a landline number and I will give you a call Anthony.

Offline AnthonyM

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
Very useful conversation on the evening of 1st June which resolved the problem. This was achieved by reconciling the account where the error transactions were not showing up. Once this was done the missing transactions, which had been applied to the next statement, and remained so even after the previous statement was unreconciled. George suggested that I back up the file then re-index and Pack the file. After this had been done deleting the transaction that had caused the problem and then re-processing the Standing Order processed the transaction correctly so problem solved.

Very grateful to George and an example of the great customer service he provides.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
Thank you for posting this Anthony and very well documented 8)
I'm pleased it was so easy to resolve  :)

Offline barryl

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
I seem to recall George added "Re-index" to solve a problem I had (no point in going into details).

I suspect it is worth add somewhere a comment to the effect that Re-index (after a backup!) is always harmless and might solve a mysterious problem. (Harmless in the sense that reindexing a working dataset causes no damage).

I also echo the comment about George's service!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
Quite right Barry. Harmless to a good database but as we know it can fix some puzzling events.
I hasten to add that you and Anthony are the only users I recall having to resort to using Reindex as a fix.
Certainly, it is rare.

Always do a backup before running either the Reindex program or the Pack program.

The Pack program is actually beneficial.
When you delete a record, Bank Genie doesn't actually erase it from disc. In the database, the software marks the record as deleted and from a user visibility point of view it appears to be permanently deleted as it is ignored by the software.
The Pack program DOES permanently remove all deleted records from the database.
This can clear up a little bit of disc space.